Oracle Exadata OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Exadata is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Data Warehouse tools. It is most often compared to Teradata: Oracle Exadata vs Teradata

What is Oracle Exadata?

Oracle Exadata Database Machine is a modern framework, engineered to run databases and to scale out database servers.

The main benefit of Exadata is speed. It hosts operating systems, CPU memory, and hard drives. It runs all types of databases, including online transaction systems, processors and data warehouses, while solving poor performances of old database architecture.

The Oracle Exadata Database Machine features a simple and fast database storage system that protects and backs up your critical data. It accelerates data warehouse performance for faster access to business information. It is ideal for companies looking to build up their infrastructure from scratch.

For more information on Oracle Exadata Database Machine, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Exadata Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Exadata Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Oracle Exadata Customers

PayPal, EBS, Organic Food Retailer, Garmin, University of Minnesota, Major Semiconductor Company, Deutsche Bank, Starwood, Ziraat Bank, SK Telecom, and P&G.

Oracle Exadata Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Exadata pricing:
  • "It is an expensive product and you pay more for certain performance enhancements."
  • "I did note that Oracle does tend to internally oversize things especially if they want to fill up a budget, and hence third-party oversight is essential."
  • "The majority of our customers are in government or big enterprises, and the projects that we sell come out to several million USD. With this amount of money on the table, it's always better to have an experienced team of consultants, who know Exadata very well, handle the implementation."

Oracle Exadata Reviews

Adriano-Simao
IT System Integrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
High performing and reliable work environment.

What is our primary use case?

As we are a service provider for the government our job is to stabilize the database layer. We need to make sure all our data is secure. That's why we like to work with a robust environment like Exadata to make sure that our response time and our reliability are good.

• "Oracle Exadata's performance is one of its best features. We very satisfied with it."
  • "There is a feature for security, but it is not included in the first purchase of this solution. That means if you need to increase the security, you need to buy the security feature which doesn't come by default on these solutions."

What other advice do I have?

I would of course recommend Oracle Exadata to other people who are looking into implementing such solutions. They need to know what happens with this solution, what can be done with it, because as the government we cannot give out that information because it's not allowed. But, I would recommend it if a company wants to use these solutions, wants to have stability with their equipment, with their applications, and with their systems. If a company wants to be competitive in the market and have a good name, reputation and everything else, I think using Oracle, with the Oracle Exadata machine, is…
Chris Bradham
Senior Technical Director at AEM Corporation
Exadata can significantly improve performance but there's a learning curve in a few key areas.

What is our primary use case?

Primarily OLTP but report is done against a combination of Materialized Views and transactional tables.

What other advice do I have?

Exadata is a powerful solution. As I mentioned there is a learning curve. Working with a company that has experience with Exadata can help avoid potential pain points and maximize the ROI.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Exadata. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rodolfo Patiño
SubDirector of Project Management at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable with good data replication but is very difficult to set up

What is our primary use case?

We are a telecommunications company. The information that we have there, it's Oracle Suite including a CRM, help service integration, and more. That's the core of the system. All the information is available to users using Oracle BI, and some other tools. We're very Oracle-based in our product choice.

• "The data replication is very good."
  • "The initial setup process is very difficult and extremely complex."

What other advice do I have?

We don't have a business relationship with the company. We are just users. I'm not sure which version of the solution we're currently using. While telecommunications is an area that always does pretty well - as people need internet and other related services, even in these strange times, it's a strange time in Mexico for a variety of reasons and therefore we are rethinking how we are approaching entire systems and maybe holding off on some decisions until the landscape clears a bit. While I like Oracle as a solution, and its hardware and database are quite good, when we're talking about…
EP
Deputy CEO, CIO at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Making the most of contextual database performance is what this solution is built to do

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for maintaining contextual databases. In other words, it is for our online applications and services.

• "This product can noticeably enhance performance of contextual Oracle databases."
  • "It is difficult to evaluate return-on-investment because of the way billing is handled for the product. This should be improved by oracle."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Oracle Exadata highly. If you compare it to other engineering databases, I would rate it a nine. Practically perfect from my point-of-view.
Radu Biristeica
IT Consultant at Trend Import-Export
Excellent storage cell capabilities and intelligence with great speed

• "We can use virtualization on Exadata."
  • "The improvement could be made on the hardware level as the habit in the industry is to go better and faster and larger with every iteration."

What other advice do I have?

We've been Oracle partners for around ten years or so. I'm a project manager, and not overly technical. We don't have Exadata in our company, however, we have Exadata via a client. The current company where I work is the first company in Romania to sell Exadata in Romania. There are a number of Exadata solutions sold in Romania - which is why my colleague has achieved past competencies and certification in Exadata machines. They are very good, and they are delivering the present services on Exadata. I manage the projects where they deliver services on Exadata only for the customer, not in our…
Robin Saikat Chatterjee
Head of Oracle Exadata Centre of Excellence at Tata Consultancy Services
We can run the exact same software as the latest x8-2 Exadatas and we can even install virtualization if we want to.

What is our primary use case?

Database Consolidation and Performance is best on this platform. It is tailor made to run the oracle database and hence the defaults on this device force you to choose oracle best practices. No more moaning by your storage admin that he wants to carve out the luns ,that he doesn't understand ASM stripe and Mirror Everything S.A.M.E and that he knows better what's good for the oracle database.Even the old x 2-2 can run version 18c of the database.

• "Our machine is used for our internal development of Oracle-based solutions, PoC benchmarking, and training/familiarization."
  • "We would like an option of a hardware-only support solution, but Oracle currently does not provide this."

What other advice do I have?

I would always consider this solution when I want an integrated scalable best-of-breed solution for enterprise class Oracle database deployment. I have seen so much inter-vendor finger-pointing during SevOne outages to ever want to wander back into that uncharted wilderness.
Adriano-Simao
IT System Integrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Enables us to run with more performance cores with less CPU to attend all the database demands

What is our primary use case?

I was running an ERP system on Rackmount machines with critical databases on it. There is no way to scale-in and very expensive to scale-out as the system is growing countrywide. Replication between sites and branches not guaranteed. Also, the EOL of this infrastructure drives this huge change, and to avoid huge change management on the application point of view and the need to maintain the same database technology it was the biggest challenge that I ever faced during this times, moving from Version 9 to 11g and now to 19c.

• "It has improved the performance, now we run with more performance cores with less CPU to attend all the database demands. Reducing Time to Market, increase our ability to face the competition with speed and low cost."
  • "I believe Oracle must improve its procedure to support the clients. The customer Ready Service must provide more use cases and benchmarks of their infrastructure to support client design decisions. Oracle must audit their partners regularly to guarantee they provide quality service even after been passed on partnership examination."
Paulo Xavier
Sales Manager at LTA-RH Informatica
Reseller
Offers a huge choice of options for the enterprise, whether on-prem or cloud

What is our primary use case?

We sell hyper-converged infrastructure tools including Oracle Exadata to enterprise customers such as governments. These are large projects that handle big data and typically run into the range of several million dollars, and in 2016, we had our first big Exadata project which involved implementing two superclusters with Exadata and Exalogic together. In some processes, we use converged infrastructure tools, but it's far more common nowadays to go with hyper-converged infrastructure tools. On our side, we prefer hyper-converged infrastructure because there just aren't that many people using… more »

• "Regarding features, there are so many that we can offer to customers. When we sell Exadata Cloud, there are many options to choose from, especially when it comes to enterprise database options. In my experience, the main features that are appreciated are various ones like GPS and the assortment of security options."
  • "There is one aspect to Exadata that I dislike, and that's the inconsistency with other databases. When you try to get Exadata to function with another type of database like SQL, or others, there should be reliable and consistent operation. When this is improved on, we should start to see more applications growing the market."

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in going with Exadata, then I highly recommend looking for an experienced consulting firm that has completed at least one large implementation before, because it isn't something you want to put in the hands of unskilled consultants. And don't forget to be careful with your implementation when it comes to GDPR in Europe. I would rate Oracle Exadata a nine out of ten.
See 11 more Oracle Exadata Reviews