Oracle Exadata Overview

Oracle Exadata is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Data Warehouse tools. It is most often compared to Oracle Database Appliance: Oracle Exadata vs Oracle Database Appliance

What is Oracle Exadata?

Oracle Exadata Database Machine is a modern framework, engineered to run databases and to scale out database servers.

The main benefit of Exadata is speed. It hosts operating systems, CPU memory, and hard drives. It runs all types of databases, including online transaction systems, processors and data warehouses, while solving poor performances of old database architecture.

The Oracle Exadata Database Machine features a simple and fast database storage system that protects and backs up your critical data. It accelerates data warehouse performance for faster access to business information. It is ideal for companies looking to build up their infrastructure from scratch.

For more information on Oracle Exadata Database Machine, visit Oracle.com

Oracle Exadata Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Exadata Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

Oracle Exadata Customers

PayPal, EBS, Organic Food Retailer, Garmin, University of Minnesota, Major Semiconductor Company, Deutsche Bank, Starwood, Ziraat Bank, SK Telecom, and P&G.

Oracle Exadata Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Exadata pricing:
  • "It is an expensive product and you pay more for certain performance enhancements."
  • "I did note that Oracle does tend to internally oversize things especially if they want to fill up a budget, and hence third-party oversight is essential."
  • "All things considered, the price of this product is fairly high, as is always the case with Oracle."
  • "Exadata is an expensive tool, but, considering the ROI, it's worth going for the solution."
  • "The licensing can be a bit expensive because you need to have certain tools enabled that require them."

Oracle Exadata Reviews

Adriano-Simao
IT System Integrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Oct 28, 2020
High performing and reliable work environment.

What is our primary use case?

As we are a service provider for the government our job is to stabilize the database layer. We need to make sure all our data is secure. That's why we like to work with a robust environment like Exadata to make sure that our response time and our reliability are good.

• "Oracle Exadata's performance is one of its best features. We very satisfied with it."
  • "There is a feature for security, but it is not included in the first purchase of this solution. That means if you need to increase the security, you need to buy the security feature which doesn't come by default on these solutions."

What other advice do I have?

I would of course recommend Oracle Exadata to other people who are looking into implementing such solutions. They need to know what happens with this solution, what can be done with it, because as the government we cannot give out that information because it's not allowed. But, I would recommend it if a company wants to use these solutions, wants to have stability with their equipment, with their applications, and with their systems. If a company wants to be competitive in the market and have a good name, reputation and everything else, I think using Oracle, with the Oracle Exadata machine, is…
Chris Bradham
Senior Technical Director at AEM Corporation
Feb 19, 2020
Exadata can significantly improve performance but there's a learning curve in a few key areas.

What is our primary use case?

Primarily OLTP but report is done against a combination of Materialized Views and transactional tables.

What other advice do I have?

Exadata is a powerful solution. As I mentioned there is a learning curve. Working with a company that has experience with Exadata can help avoid potential pain points and maximize the ROI.
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Exadata. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
454,950 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1395711
Deputy CEO, CIO at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Aug 9, 2020
Making the most of contextual database performance is what this solution is built to do

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for maintaining contextual databases. In other words, it is for our online applications and services.

• "This product can noticeably enhance performance of contextual Oracle databases."
  • "It is difficult to evaluate return-on-investment because of the way billing is handled for the product. This should be improved by oracle."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Oracle Exadata highly. If you compare it to other engineering databases, I would rate it a nine. Practically perfect from my point-of-view.
Robin Saikat Chatterjee
Head of Oracle Exadata Centre of Excellence at Tata Consultancy Services
Nov 16, 2020
We can run the exact same software as the latest x8-2 Exadatas and we can even install virtualization if we want to.

What is our primary use case?

Database Consolidation and Performance is best on this platform. It is tailor made to run the oracle database and hence the defaults on this device force you to choose oracle best practices. No more moaning by your storage admin that he wants to carve out the luns ,that he doesn't understand ASM stripe and Mirror Everything S.A.M.E and that he knows better what's good for the oracle database.Even the old x 2-2 can run version 18c of the database.

• "Our machine is used for our internal development of Oracle-based solutions, PoC benchmarking, and training/familiarization."
  • "We would like an option of a hardware-only support solution, but Oracle currently does not provide this."

What other advice do I have?

I would always consider this solution when I want an integrated scalable best-of-breed solution for enterprise class Oracle database deployment. I have seen so much inter-vendor finger-pointing during SevOne outages to ever want to wander back into that uncharted wilderness.
Adriano-Simao
IT System Integrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Aug 10, 2020
Enables us to run with more performance cores with less CPU to attend all the database demands

What is our primary use case?

I was running an ERP system on Rackmount machines with critical databases on it. There is no way to scale-in and very expensive to scale-out as the system is growing countrywide. Replication between sites and branches not guaranteed. Also, the EOL of this infrastructure drives this huge change, and to avoid huge change management on the application point of view and the need to maintain the same database technology it was the biggest challenge that I ever faced during this times, moving from Version 9 to 11g and now to 19c.

• "It has improved the performance, now we run with more performance cores with less CPU to attend all the database demands. Reducing Time to Market, increase our ability to face the competition with speed and low cost."
  • "I believe Oracle must improve its procedure to support the clients. The customer Ready Service must provide more use cases and benchmarks of their infrastructure to support client design decisions. Oracle must audit their partners regularly to guarantee they provide quality service even after been passed on partnership examination."
Slava Urbanovich
Master Consultant - RedHat & Oracle Cloud, Virtualization , Automation at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 18, 2020
Provides a good time to solution and operational standards, and the support team is knowledgeable

What is our primary use case?

We have two primary use cases for Exadata. The first is for a financial services company, which is an online bank. We use this product for all of their transaction processing. In their locale, they have a lot of transactions related to the automotive industry.

• "The most valuable feature is the time to solution."
  • "There is room for improvement with the handling of the Temp IO, which is often used for JOIN statements."

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I can recommend, although there needs to be a clear understanding of the use cases because Exadata doesn't come cheap. There is the requisition cost, the cost of support, costs for maintenance, and none of that is cheap. As long as there is a solid reason why Exadata is needed in the organization, I would definitely recommend it. My suggestion for anybody who is implementing this solution is geared towards the in-house DBAs as opposed to customers in general. DBAs tend to handle Exadata the way they would any Oracle database, which is not the way to do it. Many of them…
Syed Jaffar Hussain
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Dec 1, 2019
Increases performance with many smart features that are enabled and configured by default

What is our primary use case?

All business Oracle databases were spread across many DB servers and different platforms. We consolidated all of our databases onto a single Exadata box to ensure that they were running on the same platform and have greater coordination and integration between the databases. Also, we gained performance without much change in the database code, as well as saved a greater amount of space by applying the compression feature.

• "Compression is a great feature, where one can really save a lot of storage."
  • "The technical support is in need of improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Oracle is coming out with many advanced hardware additions and software solutions to make this product the world's best database machine.
reviewer1467993
Senior Database Administrator at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Dec 18, 2020
Industry leader, updated features, and has effective customer support

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for financial data purposes which runs at our warehouse.

• "Oracle is known to be the number one in their industry; the help and support, the features they are giving the clients comparing to other databases, the new technology, the provide a good solution."
  • "We need a monitoring tool which can in one place, where we can manage, monitor the entire Exadata components."

What other advice do I have?

Oracle is known to be the number one in their industry; the help and support, the features they are giving the clients comparing to other databases, the new technology, the provide a good solution. They are number one, in my opinion, I strongly recommend the product. No product is ever perfect, there is always room for improvement and because of this I rate Oracle Exadata an eight out of ten.
See 5 more Oracle Exadata Reviews