Oracle Exadata Review

Everything goes into one machine. Google searches help me more than Oracle support.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature is that everything goes into one machine; Oracle and the applications, so that is a big advantage.

Sometimes, I don't see any difference between Linux servers and the Oracle ones.

What needs improvement?

We have only used this product for 3 years so I cannot say what exactly needs improvement.

See my Technical Support answer below.

I have been using this product for about 3 years.

It is stable. Sometimes we need to do patching and they take the system down. For example, we did patching a couple of weeks ago and they took the system down. They said it's the OS patching although they did not inform us beforehand. They just went ahead and did it.

That's one thing about Exadata: Sometimes when there are errors, they have do the patching. We cannot just do it ourselves.

The product is scalable.

In my management, I have no say as what to buy. I'm just doing the work. They keep buying it, so we have to keep supporting it.

The technical support is terrible. When I search on Google, I get more answers than from the Oracle support team. For example, when we reach out to Oracle and claim something is not working like we cannot get OEM to connect from the Exadata machine. I simply searched on Google and found the answer. The Oracle support team could not find the solution for 3-4 weeks. Finally, I searched on Google and I found the answer in less than 1 hour. The issue was that 1 of the files had no permission for OEM to connect. That's it. Google is good. I can search anything on Google, not Oracle support.

As a DBA, we usually use it for the database upgrade which is straightforward. For the OS upgrade, it's mainly up to the Oracle support and the platform support to carry out the upgrade. We don't do it. We're even afraid to install any third-party/ other vendor's application on it, as it may be harmful.

What other advice do I have?

One thing that's good is that everything is into one machine; the database and the application that we are using. Oracle cannot blame the third-party vendor. It's an OEM problem, so Oracle itself needs to support this product. That's the only advantage that I see. Oracle loves to blame somebody else for their issues. That’s why I am not keen on this product.

I use a lot of Linux servers and they all do the same thing.