Oracle Exadata Review

We can consolidate all our databases into a single box.

What is most valuable?

The fact that we can consolidate all our databases into a single box is a cool feature. The extreme performance of Exadata is something that was worth paying for. Exadata performs at least 5-10 times faster than databases on conventional storage.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we were always facing performance related issues for the hundreds of internal applications running on our databases. That part has reduced quite dramatically. Seldom, if ever, do we encounter performance bottlenecks.

What needs improvement?

We did not see the volume of compression claimed by Oracle (10x-50x) on a table that had completely unique data. The table itself was about 140 GBs in size and we hardly got a compression of around 10%. We had elaborate discussions with Oracle about this, but we were not entirely convinced by the explanations provided by Oracle. This is something that needs to be looked into.

We have been using this product since December of 2013.

We did not encounter any issues of stability on Exadata.

There were no problems with scalability at all.

I would rate technical support as very good. We always received excellent technical support whenever we required it.

We were using an HPE solution, but as we were outgrowing our storage requirements, we explored other alternatives. Exadata seemed a very logical choice for consolidating all our databases in one place.

The setup was straightforward as Oracle was involved in the setup from the very outset. We did not face any issues during the setup.

My advice would be to have a licensing expert with you to study and analyze the licensing policy before you commit to the investment. There are a whole lot of technicalities in the fine print that may not always be apparent to the non-initiated.

We evaluated EMC Storage and Greenplum.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to go with Exadata. It is definitely worth the investment.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Platinum partner of Oracle..
More Oracle Exadata reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Exadata. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,594 professionals have used our research since 2012.