Oracle SuperCluster Review

Reliable with good performance and good support, but it's restricted to Oracle

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our main Oracle Databases, which are for our business applications.

What is most valuable?

The two features that I find to be the most valuable are high availability and high performance.

What needs improvement?

We are not using the latest version. Our version is a bit old. It's not the latest generation.

They may have made some improvements but based on the version that I am using, it is a little complicated because it is based on the Unix Operating system.

My understanding is that now it is on the Linux Operating System because it is simple to use and more user-friendly.

The SuperCluster is based on Solaris, which is different than Linux.

They should keep using the Linux Operating System. It's better than Unix. It's easier, more flexible, and used in most of the machines in the world.

Unix is not as easy for the users, it needs more maintenance and costs extra.

In my opinion, the next generation will be Linux-based.

I have been using this solution for the last 12 months.

We are using version seven.

It's a stable product, it's been running for months.

We cannot survive without Oracle's support. You are in an Oracle box made by Oracle, that can only be fixed by Oracle.

You don't have the freedom to go outside of Oracle's control.

The technical support is good. For both hardware and software, it's very good.

I was not a part of the installation in this company. When I arrived, it was already installed.

I found that the installation was not done in the way that I think was the best model.

SuperCluster usually comes with Oracle Virtualization and you can create virtual machines as you do in virtualization solutions.

They completed the installation with a hard partitioning solution with physical nodes. They used a lot of physical nodes and didn't take the opportunity to use Oracle virtualization.

It may have been a requirement of the company.

What other advice do I have?

It's a really good product.

At this time, we are still using it and there are no plans to change it that I am aware of.

It depends on the plans of the company and what they want to do in the next three to five years.

I would rate Oracle SuperCluster a seven out of ten.

More Oracle SuperCluster reviews from users
...who compared it with IBM PureSystems
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, IBM, Dell EMC and others in Converged Infrastructure. Updated: August 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.