PagerDuty Review

Valuable Features

I've found the the versatility of notifications to be the most valuable feature. With the multiple methods of notification and the escalation policies, we can always be certain that someone will get the message.

Improvements to My Organization

We are a transportation company and run 24/7. Communication with our drivers is of the upmost importance. All of our tractors are equipped with on-board computers that drivers use to send and receive messages along with reporting of information at pick up and delivery locations. Receiving this information as close to real-time as we can get is vital. We have developed processes that receive this information and update back office systems. We have also created procedures that monitor when new information is added. If a predefined time elapses with no updates, then it is safe to make the assumption that there may be an issue stopping the process. When this occurs, an event is triggered in PagerDuty and notices are sent out. If there is no response to the triggered event in PagerDuty within a certain time frame, the notification is escalated to the next person.

Drivers also use the on board computers to report certain events, such as an accident. When these types of messages are received, PagerDuty is used to immediately send notifications to our safety department. This allows us to react faster and get safety personnel out to the location if needed.

Room for Improvement

PagerDuty currently has an app that can be used on a smart phone or tablet that allows you to respond and view stats of the incidents. It would be nice if the app could somehow receive the notification of an incident and allow you to customize the warning method on the device end. Currently, the user can be alerted of an incident through email, text message, and phone call. It would be handy to have the capability to configure the app such that if an incident happens between the hours of 10 PM and 5 AM, it uses a much louder, alarm-sounding noise rather than just a text message and phone call noises.

I have been very satisfied with all functions of the product that I have used. However, I have not used all the functions so there may be some other short comings that I am not aware of.

I had no issues during the deployment.

I had no issues with the stability.

I have had no issuesd with the scalability.

Customer service is very good.

Technical service is very good.

I did not use a previous solution.

Once I got a good understanding of how the system works and what needed to be configured, it was very straightforward. Adding new services and users, as well as implementing into our current systems, was very easy.

Implementation Team

We implemented it with our in-house team.

ROI

I cannot really put a dollar amount on the ROI, but I can say that we are definitely getting an ROI in our in-house support. Our IT department uses a rotating 24/7 on-call schedule for emergencies. When we are not getting the information from our drivers, it is considered an emergency and will initiate a call to the on-call person. By having PagerDuty send notifications dependent on the actual issue, we can be certain that the correct person will be alerted. In the vast majority of the incidents, the issue is resolved before it is ever noticed by operations.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Do the research before picking a pricing plan. PagerDuty offers a few plans that allow you to only pay for what you need. Know your requirements.

1 visitor found this review helpful