Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Review

A next-generation firewall with useful functions and features

What is our primary use case?

We use it for LAN users, internet access, and more. The NG Firewall has many functions like user control, access control for servers, natural controls based on applications, schedules, ports, RTs, and IPS functionality with antivirus or security functionality. We also use it to control internet access, traffic shaping for bandwidth control, and fraud prevention.

What is most valuable?

I like all the functions and features.

What needs improvement?

I think automation and machine learning can be improved to make bulk configurations simpler, easier, and faster. Scalability can also be better.

I've been working with NG Firewalls for six years.

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls is a stable solution.

I don't think Palo Alto and Fortinet firewalls are scalable. Only Cisco is scalable. For clustering, Cisco activity models like the 4000 model are better. For example, if the firewall is undersized due to expansion, you can cluster and add more appliances to the system.

I think Palo Alto has good support. Technical support helped me solve most of my issues very quickly.

The initial setup depends on the client's infrastructure and the project's scope.

If it's migration, Palo Alto has a great tool called the Expedition tool. It helps to migrate any firewall to the Palo Alto firewall. This process takes about a day, and it's very simple.

If it's a fresh installation, it depends on the number of policies you need to apply and the number of metrics. You can do it using the command line. You can do it easily and quickly, but it depends on how much the customers prepare. Sometimes the customer has no information to provide, and you struggle to get this information. Sometimes this process can take two to five days or take weeks.

We implement and maintain Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls for our customers.

Paul Alto is the most expensive solution in this category. The subscriptions and support are also expensive, but everything is included in the hardware, including the subscriptions.

If a customer is price-sensitive, I will go for Fortinet without a second thought. If customers are willing to invest in their data centers, I might go with Palo Alto and Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls a ten.

More Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.