Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Overview

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls is the #8 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls?

Palo Alto Networks' next-generation firewalls secure your business with a prevention-focused architecture and integrated innovations that are easy to deploy and use. Now, you can accelerate growth and eliminate risks at the same time.

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls is also known as Palo Alto NGFW, Palo Alto Networks Next-Generation Firewall, Palo Alto Networks PA-Series.

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Buyer's Guide

Download the Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Customers

SkiStar AB, Ada County, Global IT Services PSF, Southern Cross Hospitals, Verge Health, University of Portsmouth, Austrian Airlines, The Heinz Endowments

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls pricing:
  • "The product is expensive compared to competing products but uses a similar type of pricing model based on hardware, software and maintenance."
  • "I am not aware of the prices, but based on the feedback, it seems a little bit more expensive as compared to other solutions. Its cost could be a reason why people don't choose Palo Alto."

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Reviews

reviewer1232628
Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Oct 6, 2020
The product stability and level of security are second to none in the industry

What is our primary use case?

We use both the NG and VM series of Palo Alto firewalls. We sell and install them for clients to provide the best security that money can buy. Additionally, adding SD WAN on the same edge device has made an all-in-one, security-edge-intelligent routing solution possible without sacrificing performance or a secure environment.

• "This is arguably the best security protection that you can buy."
  • "The only real drawback to this product is that it is expensive. But you get what you pay for and there is no way to put a price on top-notch security."

What other advice do I have?

Palo Alto is my number one choice for firewalls. I support and utilize more Palo Alto firewalls throughout my company and with my customers than any other device. Number two would be Fortinet. I don't really like Fortinet that that much because it is not as secure as Palo Alto, but I have customers who want to use it because it is a lot less expensive. Number three is Cisco Meraki, which I obviously don't like, but people request that because the Cisco name is very popular and a lot of other people are using it. I couldn't recommend against choosing a device more than choosing it by name…
Georges Samaha
Security Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Jul 28, 2020
Good application detection, strong antivirus capabilities and built-in machine learning

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall.

• "From my experience, comparing it to other products, the granularity you can have in the application is very good. The application detection is excellent. It's certainly one of the best."
  • "The solution would benefit from having a dashboard."

What other advice do I have?

In general, I prefer hardware, and Palo Alto's is quite good. However, we have a couple of virtual deployments for cases as well. I would definitely recommend the solution. It's one of the best firewalls on the market. I've worked with four different vendors in the past, and some of the most mature NG firewalls are Palo Alto's. It's their main business, so they are able to really focus on the tech. They spend a lot of time on R&D. They're always leading the way with new technologies. While Cisco has more main products, Palo Alto really does focus in on NG firewalls. That's why I always see…
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,536 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jonny Su
IS&S Europe and Global Infrastructure Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Jul 21, 2019
Great at threat prevention and has good policy-based routing features

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a firewall. We use it for VPN setup, threat protection, and for internet breakout also. We actually deploy several different versions. We have a TA200, a PA820, and a PA3200 series.

• "The most valuable features are the threat prevention and policy-based routing features."
  • "I think they need to have a proper hardware version for a smaller enterprise. We had to go to a very high-end version which is very expensive. If we chose the lower-end version, it would not meet our goals. A middle-end is missing in its portfolio."

What other advice do I have?

Once you install it, you use it every day. You can't stop because it's a security feature and a precaution. Also, we are using it to do some local breakouts, so we use utilize the local internet to carry some business traffic, to ensure there's no interruption. You have to let it run 24/7. I would suggest you be careful when choosing your model. Consider your bandwidth as well as how you want to run the local area network because the throughput of the firewall has to be well designed. I would rate this solution a nine out of10.
Mark Gleghorn
President at MT-Data
Jul 1, 2020
Awesome stability, great firewall capabilities, and a rather straightforward initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the firewalls. We're also using the next-gen features to shape what's going on. For example, to figure out what is allowed out and what isn't allowed out on a layer-7 application-aware firewall. We can block based on the application, as opposed to port access.

• "The solution allows us to set parameters on where our users can go. We can block certain sites or ads if we want to."
  • "We're working with the entry-level appliances, so I don't know what the higher-end ones are like, however, on the entry-level models I would say commit speeds need to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not really a customer. I'm like a consultant. I'm an introduction expert. If I think a client needs a certain technology I point them in the direction of whoever sells it. I do go in and configure it, so I do have experience actually using the product. When I'm looking for something, I just find someone that sells Palo Alto and I redirect the client towards them. I'm not interested in being in a hardware vendor. There's no money in it. There's so much competition out there with people selling hardware. It doesn't matter where the client gets it from. We tend to use the 200-series models of…
Mahmoud Salaheldin
Security Unit Manager at EEMC
Jul 23, 2019
Protects your network against attacks and threats and enables you to know what's going on in your network from security perspective

What is our primary use case?

Upstream and data center NGFW.

• "The initial setup was very easy."
  • "The advanced manual protection needs to be improved a little bit because they used to make a cloud manual analysis for the cloud."

What other advice do I have?

Palo Alto's firewall protects your network against attacks, threats, and many other things. Networking can be more advanced. You can upgrade the edition of Palo Alto. There's competition between Palo Alto and Fortinet firewalls. Most IT security people don't know which to pick. For a basic firewall, I recommend Fortinet because it has two or three basic firewalls. I personally need a data center firewall. Datacenter firewalls I would recommend FortiGate because of the support. It provides a high level of support. The latest Palo Alto release has many new features. It can provide you with…
reviewer1461459
Team Lead Network Infrastructure at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Dec 19, 2020
Stable with good performance and a fairly straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be used in the data center it can be used as perimeter firewalls and gateways as well. It can be used anywhere. From the systems side, the data center side, or I typically recommend that it be deployed in a VM, as it may be able to see the internet traffic and specifically it would basically look into the details of a virtualized environment as well.

• "It's a next-generation firewall and it's pretty stable. You don't have to worry about if you restart it for some maintenance. It will just come back."
  • "Sometimes some of the applications the customer has do not respond as they normally should."

What other advice do I have?

I'm an integrator. I work with many clients. My clients use both the cloud and on-premises deployment models. I would recommend the solution to other organizations. Overall, I would rate it at a nine out of ten.
Leandro Cardoso
Information Security Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Nov 16, 2020
Secure, stable, and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator. We test and deploy Palo Alto Firewall and GlobalProtect VPN solutions for our customers. We use Palo Alto Networks NG Firewall for protecting the network and filtering, and we use the GlobalProtect VPN for people who work from home. I work with many different versions because we have many customers. I usually don't use the most recent version. I use the version before the most recent version. Our customers are big as well as small companies. We have customers with I-Series products, and we also have a small series like PA-820 or PA-220 for small companies. We also do… more »

• "It is secure, easy, and good. Based on my knowledge, the customers really like the feature where when users connect to the PC or just turn on the PC, the VPN is turned on automatically. They don't have to insert any credentials. This is one of the most valuable features for customers."
  • "We always need to have a cable connected to the management interface in order to access the web interface. If I am only testing a solution for a client with a low-level firewall, which is a small series like PA-820 or PA-220, I will have to connect one more cable for the management interface. Most of the time, I already have so many cables, and adding one more can be an issue. I don't think it is something that they can improve."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but it really depends on the budget and the needs of the customers. There are so many options, and sometimes, it is hard to understand which is the better option. I would rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls an eight out of ten.
Mustafa Arrabi
IT Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jul 5, 2019
I found it more intuitive compared to other products. Scalability is a big problem if you don't plan in advance for network traffic usage

What is our primary use case?

Our solution is now based on clustering and load balancing. We can add more nodes to our environment to accommodate the new load within our company. We have about 2,000 to 2,300 users on Palo Alto NG firewall support. Palo Alto has a line of products for different customers. If you do the sizing it from the beginning, considering that you are a growing company, it is fine. You need to plan for the future, which means that you have to pay in advance through investment. With Palo Alto NG Firewalls, the cost will be higher.

• "I found Palo Alto NG firewalls more intuitive compared to other products. I value the capability to identify a cloud solution."
  • "The scalability compared to other products is not good. You need to change the box whenever you want your number of connection sessions to increase."

What other advice do I have?

You have to do proper network design from the beginning. You have to look into future expansion. Otherwise, after a year, you have to replace the entire box. On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate this product a seven because the point of scalability within their product is a big issue. If you have to put a huge investment in front to accommodate future expansion, it is fine. It requires forecasting. If your forecast is not correct and you are not growing to that point, then all your investments will be a waste. If you're adding a block so that it can accommodate your user traffic demand, then…
See 33 more Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Reviews
Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.