Palo Alto Networks VM-Series Review

Great templates and very stable but needs more documentation

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for IT. I am from the Palo Alto Partner end, so I am not using it deliberately. I usually deploy to clients in various industries, including the payment gateway industry.

What is most valuable?

In Palo Alto the most important feature is the App-ID. It's the biggest selling point in my opinion.

Another important application feature is the Content-ID.

The solution offers great templates.

Overall, the solution has a lot of great features on offer.

What needs improvement?

Even when the solution locks away a virus, there seems to be a delay for four or five minutes. It should be as little as one. Right now, it's such a long delay. It can be frustrating for clients and I need to answer a lot of questions surrounding that.

The solution needs to have more easily searchable details or documentation about it online, so it's easier to Google if you have queries.

The solution requires more use cases.

I've been on this Firewall for the last two years.

The stability is very good. There aren't bugs, glitches, or crashes. It's very reliable.

Although I haven't personally tried to scale the solution, my understanding is that it's easy to do so. It's convenient for enterprises. It's my understanding it would scale especially well for enterprises.

I've had to reach out to technical support many times. Sometimes, I find that it can take a while to reach support, or for them to get back to us. This is especially true on weekends and holidays. Other than that, it's been pretty good. We're pretty satisfied with the level of support we get.

I only have experience with Palo Alto; I don't know much about other VM firewall solutions.

The initial setup is not complex. It's quite straightforward. The deployment process is great. It only takes about five to ten minutes or so.

I handle the maintenance and troubleshoot any issues that arise.

I mostly figured out the deployment myself and used Google to assist when I had questions.

I don't have any dealings with the accounting side of the solution. That's handled by someone else. I'm not sure what the cost is or if we pay monthly or yearly.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Palo Alto. We're using the latest version of the solution.

We have a VM-Series via Palo Alto and K2K and the hardware Series.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
More Palo Alto Networks VM-Series reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks VM-Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.