Palo Alto NG Firewalls Review

The solution is generally stable, and easily scalable

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple IPS applications, and other multiple use cases.

What is most valuable?

We are using pretty much all of the features. This is deployed in our parameter and pretty much provides for different functionalities, for all incoming traffic and outgoing traffic.

What needs improvement?

The support could be improved.

The next release could use more configuration monitoring on this one, and additional features on auditing.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is generally stable. There are no issues. We have forty-thousand users.

The solution is scalable, yes. We don't plan on increasing usage.

We are being provided with decent support but some of the RCS, some of the issues can be resolved much faster.

We were using Check Point. We switched because of certain features: entire equity, ideas, application visibility, single interfacing, etc.

The initial setup was complex. We're in the process of replacing it in seventy or so locations, and setup is still ongoing, but going well. It was complex because of the multiple zones that we had to create. We had multiple interfaces so there are multiple complexities that we had to address. We don't require extra staff to maintain the solution.

We implemented through a system integrator.

We have seen a return on investment.

I don't have data points, but some of the use cases that we have already delivered to the organization have shown that a lot of threats have been identified and has been blocked. I don't know how you can quantify that. At the same time, the effort was significantly reduced on the deployment of new routes based on this.

I think, if you compare, they're a little costly next to Cisco of Check Point, but they offer a lot of other additional features to look at. The licensing is annual, and there aren't any additional fees on top of that.

We actually did not but we were using two or three other products already, so we had a good idea of what to expect.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say the blueprint of the implementation needs to be ready before you start the implementation of the product. The product is generally stable and the team provides a good presence on it, but at the end, if you're putting it in the mission-critical data center, the planning needs to be extensive.

I would rate this solution an eight and a half out of ten.