Parasoft SOAtest Review

Combined with Virtualize, we can set up component tests without using the other components in the loop.

What is most valuable?

For integration tests, it’s hard to set up component tests due to dependencies. This means you cannot test without using the other components in the loop. The combination of SOATest + Virtualize gives us the opportunity to do this much easier and also to test very early in the development cycle (#Fail Fast, #Fail Early).

How has it helped my organization?

We can now test as early as possible, so we are achieving better control over our components.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more concrete examples, easy to download studies of very simple Java projects, or TIBCO stuff. Now, I’m sometimes stuck and only finding whitepapers or other reading material, without having concrete examples.

Sometimes I’m stuck, and in that case, it’s useful to have simple examples. I see some shipped examples that are good, but I focus more on the Test automation as part of Continuous Delivery.

For example, yes, there is maven integration and the plugins are explained on a high abstract level. I would to like see simple examples just to showcase and give people a jump start. I found it out by experimenting, I will make this public on my blog in a couple of weeks, just to help the community.

Normally, I’m looking first for some git-repo’s supported with wiki’s, this is what I sometimes miss with Parasoft.

Another topic: SOATest is an integration testing tools, so I was expecting more examples around Tibco BW. Since it commonly just in combination.

Bottom line, modernize the way of documentation.

We are using the solution for four months already. We are using Parasoft SOATest 9.9 and Virtualize 9.9.

Till now, it seems to be stable with no issues.

We didn't encounter any issues with scalability.

We have good support of our solution architect of Parasoft, but sometimes they don’t know all the answers and then it’s harder to find more knowledge in technical support from US teams, which slows things down.

I used to use more open-source tooling. SOATest speeds up our test implementation in the integration context.

With open source, you have to build a lot of plumbing code to get it to work. With SOATest, you can directly focus on the test effort.

BUT, within these open-source frameworks, I did more BDD-oriented testing than seems to be possible with SOATest. So I need to spend more time to find the correct direction within the combined SOATest/Virtualize. Compare this with frameworks like Cucumber or FitNesse and there seems to be more control in organizing the test code.

I think it’s worth the price as long you can set up the test implementation & maintenance.

We evaluated IBM RTW. I think it has a little bit more control, but it’s more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would depend on where they come from and what they want.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are working close with Parasoft, and we chose this product for implementing Integration Test frameworks, especially in Continuous Delivery setups.