Pentaho Business Analytics Review

In terms of functionality, they're not growing as fast as other companies. It's good for showing the need for BI.

What is most valuable?

Pentaho Data Integration (PDI).

Pentaho Analysis Services

Pentaho Reporting

How has it helped my organization?

We developed Sales’s and HR's datamarts. So nowadays, managers of these departments can have quick and flexible response with them. I think it was an improvement, because in the past each new analyses demanded IT resources, taking time, and this doesn't occur nowadays. The final users have much more freedom to discover the information they need.

What needs improvement?

I think that Pentaho can improve a lot its UI interface and its tool for dashboard maintenance.

2 years

I think the most complex are the solutions with the most hardcore implementations. Pentaho could invest more to make the life of developers’ easier.

Yes, once in a while, we have to face a unexpected problem that takes us time to overcome. And it causes problems with user’s satisfaction.

No. I think the choice for Pentaho was right for my company. It fits very well for our purpose, which was demonstrate to the directors the power of BI for the business. But, now there is a perception of the benefits, and the company is become bigger. Perhaps, in the near future, I can evaluate other options, even Pentaho EE.

My company has a procedure to evaluate all of our suppliers and we have questions about promptness, level of expertise, pre-sale and post-sale, effectiveness and efficiency.

7 out of 10

Yes, when I started with Pentaho in 20111 I already had worked in another company that had Cognos BI Suite as a BI solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. The setup was done by my team, which had no expertise with the Pentaho BI Suite. In 2 days, I was presented with the first dashboards.

I implemented my first Pentaho project with a vendor team, which help us a lot, but its level of expertise could be better. In the middle of the project, we had some delays related to doubts which had to be clarified by Pentaho’s professionals.

The ROI of this product is good, because in little time you can have the first’s outputs. But it’s not excellent if compared with other BI solutions, like QlikView or Tableau.

My original setup cost for the first project was $30,000 and the final cost was about $35,000.

Yes. Cognos, Microstrategy and Jaspersoft.

What other advice do I have?

For me, Pentaho is not growing in terms of functionality, as fast as other companies in the same segment. The UI falls short and for more complex solutions, it’s necessary to have good developers. However, being an Open Source solution, I think it allows IT departments to show with low investment the importance of BI for the company.

More Pentaho Business Analytics reviews from users