Prophix Review

Microsoft multidimensional cubes has several disadvantages in write back solutions which results in poor performance. Client installation and updating is really easy.

What is most valuable?

• The ability to write back to a Microsoft multidimensional cube
  • Using workflows with accept/decline function and automate data management
  • Flexibility: Prophix's metadata is stored in a SQL server database and can be edited freely
  • Security: Being able to give users very specific availability in the program such as specific dimension members

How has it helped my organization?

When implemented in customers' environments we see budget and economic reporting is greatly improved because of automation and naturally more interest in key performance indicators.

What needs improvement?

Being able to work on Microsoft tabular cubes or perhaps your own technology. The Microsoft multidimensional cubes does have several disadvantages in write back solutions which results in poor performance.

I've used it for four years.

Deployment is fairly simple. A few steps are needed before the main installation, but the wizard that follows the software is easy to use. As mentioned before, Prophix uses SQL Server databases to store its metadata and also Cube data which makes it really flexible.

The software itself runs without issues, though Prophix is highly dependent on Microsoft multidimensional cube structure which can lead to critical errors. Overall Prophix does handle this fairly well and error handling is bearable.

Again Prophix is dependent upon Microsoft multidimensional cubes which creates several problems with scalability. Prophix itself doesn't have any issues with this from what I'm aware of.

9/10 - Prophix is a Canadian company and doesn't have customer support in Denmark. The timezone difference makes live support difficult at times, but that's the only issue as the support is really good.

10/10.

I haven't used a previous solution.

As mentioned under deployment, Prophix is fairly simple to set up. The client gets installed by a web service which makes client installation and updating really easy.

We sell the solution to customers.

With the proper consulting and deployment customers get a ROI that is medium to high. Though Prophix does require administrators who take care of workflows, updating reports and so on, from what we experience customers are, overall, satisfied with the performance improvement of their budget management.

As a company who deliver Prophix as a solution, we don't have these kind of numbers.

We only work with solutions that use Microsoft solutions and Prophix is the only complete solution in it's category.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure your data quality is decent. Don't fill dimensions with over 1000 members. Keep your model simple and think it through before implementing it as you can't edit cubes when they first are made.