Rapid7 InsightOps Review

The ability to browse logs from multiple sources simultaneously speeds up root cause analysis

What is most valuable?

• The log aggregation and research capabilities are definitely what pays for itself.
  • The ability to browse logs from multiple sources at the same time really speeds up root cause analysis, which involves more than one source and this is almost always the case.
  • Visual mode search and live monitoring are just icing on the cake.

How has it helped my organization?

Imagine having to recreate the timeline of an event across three servers, with multiple logs each, and some logs dated using UTC and some using our actual time zone. You either have to build complex scripts using grep, sed, and awk to standardize the data before you can start your analysis or you risk getting lost. InsightOps does it all automatically so you can get to work right away. Less time lost and less risk of taking the wrong path.

What needs improvement?

Since I used the beta, improvements are to be expected. The dashboard options could have been clearer, but I believe it is more a problem with the limited documentation available at the time.

Two months. The time that the beta lasted.

None at all.

No, but our testing has been rather limited.