Riverbed SteelCenter Aternity Review

It allows us to offer application transaction response times to different lines of business

Improvements to My Organization

We just made an additional purchase which was kind of small. It allows us to offer various business groups and their application reaction times. We didn’t have this before as we were using stopwatches to measure and trend it.

Valuable Features

There are a lot of great features. The detailed level of information you are able to get on the complete environment all of the way down to a specific machine.

Room for Improvement

I think the next release has what we are looking for. I guess they are working on this now, but to monitor these transactions, you need to look at it, analyze it and capture it. It requires a little bit of work, but in an environment like ours, you need it to be easier. They are making great strides to make this easier. I’d like it to still be easier yet, though it might not be possible because unless you have a background, it really makes it hard to do it on your own.

It's consistently stable with excellent performance. We are at maximum capacity. I have had no problems with the server or with the clients. If anything goes above or out of control or CPU resources are used up, it will restart that service or shut it down. It's very stable as far as the server is concerned.

It's very scalable compared to other software. Right now, we are going to 26,000 end points. It’s a common set up. We plan on going to 100,000 end points and it's as simple as adding some extra servers. It's very scalable with a familiar design.

The solution architects are great and are very knowledgeable. I have actually been up to their offices for training and some of their application developers were there from Israel. Very smart and willing to go above and beyond to make sure they are delivering.

We previously used different types of software.

It depends on what you are talking about. The setup of everything is very simple. The only time it gets complex, and it needs to be, is when you are working with home-grown applications and all of your thousands of people and developers. Your trying to isolate those transactions, but even that process is straightforward.

Other Solutions Considered

We used other software and we looked at 23 solutions. It very specifically meets our goals. It really depends on the needs.

Other Advice

Some of the biggest things I like about the software is that it’s simple to use and you can learn it in a few hours. Something this easy to use shouldn’t be so powerful. In one hour, people can be overwhelmed with the information they can get from such a simple UI. Data analytics is a simple, easy-to-use interface.