SaltStack Review

Reactors help with automation. A state can be linked to the status of another state.

Valuable Features

• Reactors, because of the automation help they provide (reacting to custom events).
  • State dependency trees, because a state can be linked to the status of another state, allowing you to particularize the behaviour of the software in some cases. The result of the execution of a system_state can be linked to different other states. For example, you can say: IF Upgrade_Apache is OK then Restart_Apache else Rollback_Upgrade. In that manner, you can create a sort of dependency among multiple desired states.

Improvements to My Organization

For example, with automation, before SaltStack, user management to access servers by SSH was done "by hand". The risk was leaving life-long access for some users, who were no longer with the company.

Room for Improvement

Integration in BASH Scripts: Maybe I’m just lazy, but I've not been able to find a mapping between state execution success/failure and Salt command return codes.

Use of Solution

I have used it for 1.5 years.

I have encountered stability issues; they are always resolved by new releases of the software.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is excellent, even by chat.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Initial setup was simple.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I use the community edition, so it is free.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.