SaltStack Review

It is simple to create Python-based templates and create functions for actions not covered by the Jinja engine.

Valuable Features

Jinja/Python + wide range of embed functions for various platforms and purposes.

Jinja is based on Python, which is a fairly handy and comfortable programming language. They make it simple to create Python-based templates and, when necessary, create functions for actions that are not covered by the Jinja engine.

Improvements to My Organization

Centralized administration and orchestration of severs and services.

Room for Improvement

Support: It's not bad or poor, but there are some issues. On the one hand, it's about development and progress; on the other, there were some issues that took too long to get fixed by the SaltStack team and forced users to invent workarounds.

Documentation: I'd say it's a little bit complicated for beginners, some topics are not clear and so on. So, one will have to massively use search engines when it comes to complex setups and solutions.

Use of Solution

I have used it for ~7 months.

I have encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is good (4 of 5).

I did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was neither straightforward nor complex; it required some effort.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It's OSS.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, I evaluated Ansible and Puppet.

Other Advice

Be patient and you'll get a great solution.

3 Comments
Orlee GillisConsultant

What are the biggest differences that you've experienced between SaltStack and Ansible and Puppet?

26 September 16
Integration Engineer (DevOps) at a tech company with 51-200 employeesReal User

Hello!

I'd recommend you this article, which gives quite detailed SaltStack review:

26 September 16
Orlee GillisConsultant

Thank you, George! This is quite an interesting comparison between SaltStack compared to Ansible and Puppet.

I encourage you to read up further on our community members' own product comparisons between SaltStack and other solutions, such as Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control --

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on which attributes of each solution contribute most to the comparison.

27 September 16