SAP Lumira Review

The most valuable features are all of the analytical dashboards, which then pull real-time data. One area where I would like to see improvement is the speed.

What is most valuable?

We can prepare a summary and, with these dashboards, anybody can build it and they are all self-service tools. You don't really need to program and you don't need any high tech people to hand over the dashboards to the business. It's mainly user-friendly and a self-service tool.

How has it helped my organization?

We haven't actually done anything. We are just exploring. We are doing a couple of proof of concepts. We haven't realized anything in production.

We have something planned. I was given a glimpse of what we intend to do. We have a lot of data sitting on our database. We would like to deliver an analytical dashboard which really provides somebody about the performance of our sub-layer. We would like to take a look and see how our sub-layers are performing. What is the quality of the developers? Are they really meeting their deadlines? We have 100,000 sub-layers. If they don't meet their deadline, we don't either, so that's a very critical to our delivery date. These are some of the things we would like to build our dashboards and go from there.

What needs improvement?

One area where I would like to see improvement is the speed. It needs so much resources. I would like to see everything running on the server rather than having it separated between the Lumira server and Lumira desktop, with one flavor here, one flavor there. I would like to have everything in one place, so that you don't really need to worry about having a lot of resources on the PCs, especially if you want to deploy the solution to business users. If it's not a high tech company, we don't give them any PCs with 10 TB of memory.

I'm rating it a five. When they improve its performance, it can go to seven or eight. If they add even more drill-down features and so on, it can be a 10.

We just started using Lumira, only in the last couple of months.

I did encounter issues with stability and performance. It really takes a long, long time, if you want to do analysis on viewed data. There is definitely a lot of opportunity to improve on the performance run.

I don't know because we're not there yet. We are just in the very, very pre-evaluation phase, so I cannot really comment on that.

I haven't used technical support yet. We are a premium customer of SAP. We have a good relationship but Lumira is just one of the tiny products we use. We have quite a few business tools. We do get pretty good support and we follow the same process and methodology. Also, we have very good contact from our technical quality managers if we need to escalate and get good support. I think we are covered on the support front.

In the past, we used some of the other reporting tools, but they all needed a lot of technical expertise. Those are not true self-service tools. You need to have a shadow IT team in the business for some of them. With Lumira, I don’t expect any IT guy to utilize the tools. Once you get all the data into the backend and define all the views and so on, it’s up to the business how they want to consume and how they want to design their dashboard: What kind of filter? What kind of measurements they want to see? It's up to them, but I think that they're covered.

We were all sitting in a conference room, four of us, and we watched a YouTube video, which is eight minutes long. After that, we were able to build a couple of dashboards by ourselves, just from that one watch and learn session. It is so easy to learn.

Setup was not an issue but there was an issue with the license key because we had already bought Lumira. It took some time for them to make the software available and give us the license key. It took a good two weeks to go back and forth between us and SAP. That was not a problem. It's just a simple application flaw.