SAS Analytics Review

A user-friendly, easy coding analytics solution that is good for typical predictive analytics

What is our primary use case?

We use SAS Analytics for all data analysis, quick exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis, predictive modeling, and rapid data management in risk analytics. Predominantly, we're using risk analytics, but I plan to extend it to marketing and other departments as well.

The primary focus here is risk analytics and portfolio management in this organization. But in the past, I have used it in various industries for numerous use cases like demand forecasting, inventory management, customer relationship management, strategic analytics, M&A, HR analytics, business intelligence, and analytical data marts.

I have also used SAS extensively for developing risk scoring models, model risk management, collection analytics, and marketing analytics very effectively for banking and financial services.

What is most valuable?

It's a very good tool for typical data analytics and reporting, data management. It's very easy to use once you learn. The coding is super easy. If you know SQL, you can start using SAS immediately. SAS E-Miner also a great tool for predictive analytics.

Example codes:

Libname mylib “A:\data”;

Data tempdata;

Set mylib.mydata; /* reading data set from the library mylib*/

Or

Proc SQL:

Create table temp as

Select * from mylib.mydata;

quit;

What needs improvement?

They should provide technical support quickly and for free. I would also like them to offer the integration of various Base SAS modules into one like SAS Studio to make it more cost effective for small organization. The installation could also be easier, and the price could be better.

I have been using SAS Analytics and SAS overall for almost 19 years.

SAS is a stable analytics tool.

It's scalable because it has a SAS server version as well as Cloud version. For scalability, you need to get SAS server. They are also in the process to launch on Microsoft Azure Cloud.

If you don't buy a special SAS support plan, they take time to respond. It takes at least three to four days to get a response back from them. You have to buy a premium support plan for a quick response. They should make technical support free or maybe make it much faster.

I have also used Databricks, Azure ML Studio, SPSS, R Studio, Python, C++, Perl, SQL,  Power BI and Tableau for data management, data visualization and advanced analytics.

The installation is little complex.  I think it's a ten-gigabyte file you have to download and install. SAS is not easy to install because it's dependencies and not simple like open-source. The last time my team installed it, I think it took two to three hours from end-to-end.

Though there are SAS cloud versions available, which are easy to use.

Our IT team installed it. Typically, anyone who can install applications at an enterprise level can do it. You just need a SAS administrator in your organization to install and maintain it. But if it's a personal computer, you can do it on your own with the lightweight version of the product. SAS also provides support if you buy it.

SAS is very expensive. The challenge with them is that you have to pay for a license with every module you buy. They should probably combine everything and make it cheaper and light weight in Base Version.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend SAS for large organizations because of the cost of this enterprise-level solution. For a small organization, I would recommend a cheaper solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give SAS a nine rating.

9.4
More SAS Analytics reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about SAS, Knime, Oracle and others in Data Mining. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.