SEEBURGER BIS Review

Automates our sales order processing.

What is most valuable?

We really appreciated the solution itself (EDI transaction processor) and the Developer Studio. Ninety per cent of our sales order processing is automated through our SB BIS 6 system.

How has it helped my organization?

We have enjoyed high performance and only had a few problems. The Developer Studio and the debugging tools were easy to use. We could not function without an EDI system and SB BIS 6 is our chosen EDI system.

What needs improvement?

Error messages in the main area that could be better, but you can say that about any product.

The Front-End Monitoring tool part of Seeburger BIS 6, is a Java Web Start-based application. When a map (or transaction) fails, the errors go to a special section in monitoring, which is good. However, a lot of the times, when you are looking at the failure, it's one of those long Java.class failure descriptions. A lot of the times, in order to locate the error, you have to download the input data to your workstation, load the map that failed in your Seeburger BIS Developer Studio tool, run it there and then, debug it so as to locate the error.

One thing Seeburger BIS 6 is really good at, is enforcing standards (such as X12, EDIFACT, etc.) but, this can also bite you. When partners don't follow the standards, then the actual standard that is violated, doesn't necessarily jump at you in the Monitoring tool. You have to debug the data received and the map. This is from my experience with many tools, especially those built on Java. This kind of thing is not specific to Seeburger BIS, in my experience.

We have used the product for five years.

We had no stability issues.

We had no scalability issues.

Technical support was pretty good and had a fast turnaround.

We needed to upgrade our previous EDI tool. That tool did not have a migration path. We looked at many EDI tools and chose SB BIS as the best one available.

I won't lie. The setup and the configuration were both complex because it is a powerful tool.

The biggest complexity was one of the biggest benefits. Namely, you can run SB BIS components on multiple inter-connected servers, which we do.

I'm a developer, so I don't know about pricing.

No comment. We chose what we thought was the best.

What other advice do I have?

SB BIS is hard to beat if you:

• Process thousands of transactions a day
  • Do business in more than one country
  • If you are an SAP shop

We are an SAP shop and SB BIS meshes very well with SAP. They are both German companies. I think both of their respective headquarters are located physically close to each other in Germany.