SonicWall Email Security Review

An important component of our secure network that protects us against spam and malware

What is our primary use case?

We use SonicWall Email Security as part of our secure environment. It monitors email and all activities from the office to the cloud. We have a hybrid cloud, which is a public cloud that has a private portal with security.

We experience a lot of spamming and we have deployed this solution to help control those types of attacks.

What is most valuable?

This solution provides very good email security that protects us against spamming and malware.

What needs improvement?

The cost is very high and should be improved.

It should include additional monitoring tools to identify computers that are causing problems. We are using third-party tools for this but they should be embedded directly into the solution. Ideally, we would like to be able to monitor all of the client email activities inside our network. We would like to see more information on a dashboard about what is happening when it comes to spamming and malware. SolarWinds is one of the monitoring tools that we are using.

We have been SonicWall Email Security for four to five years.

The stability is not 100%. I would say that it is better than okay, but it can still be improved in terms of monitoring. There are some glitches that happened, although we were able to fix them.

This is a very scalable solution. We have approximately 200 users between our head office and regional office. We may increase our usage within the next three to five years.

We have not been in contact with technical support. Our own IT team is managing our email security and have been able to resolve any issues.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

I would say that the initial setup is of moderate difficulty. It is not simple nor complex.

The deployment took one or two days and required one or two people. After the deployment, we are continuously monitoring and using this solution on a daily basis. We do not manage it every day, but it is always doing the monitoring.

We do have a consultant and an integrator from the company that provided the hardware. They assisted us with the deployment are supporting us with all of our SonicWall products. They are SonicWall-certified network engineers.

We have a two-year license subscription and the price is very high.

There are other solutions that work similarly to SonicWall that have a lower price. Because of the cost, we are now evaluating other products with the intention to replace all of our SonicWall products when the license expires.

What other advice do I have?

We also use the SonicWall firewall solution, which has many features to secure our local network. It protects each of the ports on all of our PCs and they are secured from outside of the network. It provides broadcast controlling, multi-layered security, and more. They provide a lot of features that other firewalls do not have and it is the most powerful one that I have seen.

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to first perform a feature comparison with other products and look at the new technology that is out there. That is the way to find the best option.

Overall, this is a solution that provides good security but at a very high cost.

Hybrid Cloud