Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect Review

Support for a Mac would be an improvement but I'm very happy with the support for UML 2 diagrams.

What is most valuable?

In terms of product features, I'm very happy with the support for UML 2 diagrams, Archimate, TOGAF and the collaboration capability using a RDBMS back-end. Because EA supports multiple models, the whole architecture team can collaborate using the same tool and develop our models from requirements to deployment on a shared repository.

How has it helped my organization?

The user interface could be more intuitive and support for a Mac, iOS or at least a browser version would be very welcomed.

I've been using Sparx EA for the last four years.

No - Caveat: I did not take part of the deployment but I am also not aware of any significant challenges.

Yes. I've had some issues when using a NFS backed but it was on an older version of the product.

Availability - No, but I should caveat that I've only experienced working with teams of up to 10 colleagues.

Never had the need to contact them directly.

Never had the need to contact them directly.

I've used MS Visio before but the tools are not really comparable.

Straightforward - Caveat: I did not take part of the deployment but I am also not aware of any significant challenges

In both cases, the deployment and implementation was done by internal IT.

It's hard to calculate ROI on a product that is used within a function that is a cost center but it's fairly easy to acknowledge that EA has paid itsef many times over in terms of hours saved for the team.

The setup consists of a team license hosted on a network share and a RDBMS back-end. EA is installed locally on the desktops of the users.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very decent product, but if all you are required to do is produce "box diagrams" then Sparx EA will be overkill.