Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect Review

​Powerful tool with plenty of customization options. Requires learning and experimentation.

What is most valuable?

• Available architecture frameworks
  • Ability to generate documentation
  • Forward and reverse engineering capabilities
  • Extensibility

How has it helped my organization?

• Documented operational processes of all business departments using Archimate 2.0 framework
  • Able to depict bottleneck areas - risky processes, infrastructure deficiencies, and opportunities to reuse strategic content
  • Visualization of the business was a major benefit

What needs improvement?

• Ease of customization to develop internal frameworks
  • Custom templates and diagrams

I've used it over six years.

Multi-user, enterprise model sharing requires some IT help but overall the experience is pretty straight forward and positive.

No, it's a stable and mature product with good online and community support.

Running large and complex models (ours contained thousands of objects) does require a powerful machine with 8+GB of RAM.

I did not need to use the actual customer service as there are a few books published by EA experts, and community answers are available as well.

9/10, as most of the technical issues are quickly resolved.

We switched from Rational Rose due to the extreme affordability of Sparx Enterprise Architect for the capabilities and quality of the solution.

It's very easy and straight forward to setup, and so are the updates.

It was all done in-house.

It's extremely high.

The original setup was about half an hour of my time, and updates are in the 10 minute range. The network repository took a day to establish, configure and start using. Daily costs are negligible.

• Rational Rose
  • Eclipse Modeling
  • CA Erwin

What other advice do I have?

Buy Peter Doomen's book "Fifty Enterprise Architect Tricks" book, join the Sparx and LinkedIn communities of experts.