Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect Review

For software architecture the UML components are a great help. It also helps when creating code from the diagrams.

Valuable Features:

The way one can set up relationships between components. When doing architecture this helps to determine impact on the IT landscape when components are removed, moved and changed.

Improvements to My Organization:

From an architectural point of view it is easy to define the application landscape and maintain the relationships between components. This helps when the current state application architecture is considered especially by architects new to an organisation. It also assists the embedded architects to design the future state architecture more effectively.

Room for Improvement:

The UX/UI seems a bit dated and clunky and I would like to see a refresh of this. The application UX does not align to the newest design principles one can find on the web these days. It might also be time to adapt EA to work in a mobile environment (tablets not phones). The Information architecture aspects of the product is also not as strong as it can be but still offers good value for money.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for two years.

Deployment Issues:

We have had no issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

We have had no issues with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

I personally have not used any of the customer service offered as I have been able to resolve most of my problem via the online help and FAQ’s. I have found the online help to be extremely detailed.

Previous Solutions:

I have used MS Visio (various versions) before and have found that EA provides a far better documentation environment. It is definitely easier to keep diagrams ordered and filed away in EA than with Visio.

Initial Setup:

The setup was quite easy. The installation instructions and database setup is straight forward.

Implementation Team:

It was an easy install for our in-house team.

ROI:

We never determined the ROI on the product but the documentation we have available at our fingertips is priceless.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Pricing is available on the website and very reasonable for a product of this nature. I have even acquired the product myself in a personal capacity at home for little side IT projects I do after hours.

Other Advice:

What are you waiting for! If you do not use EA in any of your architecture, BA or design teams you are falling behind.