Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect Review

For day-to-day modeling and solutions, it is a very good repository-based tool.​ It could have better reporting functions.

Valuable Features:

Class diagrams, component diagrams, and sequence diagrams. In our organization, we use Sparx EA for low level architecture which connects to the enterprise architecture. We use it to document information models using class diagrams and object models, solution/domain architecture using component and sequence diagrams.

Improvements to My Organization:

The communication amongst several parties using common language and using a repository.

Room for Improvement:

1. Could have better reporting functions
  2. Performance could be improved when the file based repository size increases
  3. Would be nice if it takes excel inputs for creating a list of objects and maybe even relations.

Use of Solution:

We've used it for three and a half years.

Deployment Issues:

We have had no issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

Stability is sometimes an issue when it comes up with synchronization errors and does not give any specific message as to the reason behind it.

Scalability Issues:

Scalability becomes an issue as long as we are working on file based repository.

Customer service has been good whenever I contacted them.

Previous Solutions:

I used Rational Rose for UML modeling before this. Currently, I use Software AG's ARIS for enterprise architecture and Sparx EA for information modeling and solution architecture. Sparx does not have the depth that ARIS provides but I like the flexibility and ease of use , despite its lack of reporting and import capabilities.

Initial Setup:

It was straightforward.

Implementation Team:

In-house and independent installations usually, so far.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Currently, it is only used as one of the several tools and is still being discussed about the capacity in which we should use this tool.

Other Advice:

It depends on the scope and the level of architecture that is intended to be done. For day-to-day modeling and solutions, it is a very good repository-based tool.