Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect Review

Provides a centralized, self-regulating standardized repository of architectural artifacts which can take in or spit out a custom selected subset of these artifacts

What is our primary use case?

Creating a repository for an entire enterprise and then creating a custom fit set of concepts, tools and process.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a centralized, self-regulating (like a spreadsheet is self regulating) standardized repository of architectural artifacts which can take in or spit out a custom selected subset of these artifacts in a wide variety of forms including diagrams, spreadsheets, MS Word documents, tables, xml, JSON, etc.

What is most valuable?

Automated reporting saves me a kazillion hours a week of cutting, pasting and editing.

Profiles and Stereotypes allows me to reduce the learning curve for newbies by 95%

What needs improvement?

Their business model does not include consulting services but this can be a weakness in some cases.

Companies that include or even highlight the consulting arm of their companies can easily create a situation in which the on site staff become dependent on the vendor consultants and are unable to progress without them.

Knowing which button to select or which icon to click on is one thing but understanding how a tools like this fits in to the overall methodology takes an in company investment in integrating the tools and software process.

I've worked for most of the big name vendors and I know first hand that the only real way to learn is to roll up your sleeves and start using the tool on a regular basis.

Training and instruction are very available for Sparx via webinars, videos, pdfs, whitepapers and email support which I have always found to be first rate.

One cannot use these tools using the cup o soup paradyme, "just add hot water". If you want that , stick with Visio,

6 years

Perfect - never had any problems.

Perfect - never had any problems.

Though only available by e-mail they really know their stuff and respond very quickly.

Visio - it's like comparing crayons and paper to a spreadsheet.

No - install, run and if you want a repository run a db script.

In house ( myself)

I can conservatively estimate that expert users double their production and novice users gain 10%

The savings in license fees more than allows you to invest in a little training but get someone good.

Yes, but for the combination of price and value, no one beats them. Now if you want to pay a million dollars there's a lot to choose from.

What other advice do I have?

Watch out for fraudulent consultants who spout jargon but know nothing about modeling. Make someone show you the real stuff they have done.