SQL Azure Review

Offers security verification and backup but the integration should be faster

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for SQL Azure is to operate our database.

What is most valuable?

The features I like most is that it offers a lot of securitt verification and backup from our side as well as from within SQL Azure.

What needs improvement?

Security can sometimes be a problem when it affects our business needs. It needs to integrate more security without stopping the service or our business. In some cases we have a lot of restriction on people who needs to use the database for whatever reason. We need more performance but in the same way we need more security - from the application and also in the Internet. The problem is therefore in the internet.

We've been using the solution for two years now.

The stability is good at the moment. We are more dependable on the stability from the internet from our service provider. The solution is responsible for 99% of the stability, but most of our problems are due to our local internet provider.

The scalability is good. We have 100 users and one can upgrade the system by performance and by the size of the storage. You can move between different types of storage using block or docket. You can use any way you choose without losing data. So the scalability it is very good. We plan to increase our usage.

We are planning to redo the assessment about whether more people should be involved in the technical support.

The initial setup was very complex. It is hard to explain, but the problem is when you have more than one service. We have only one service but the solution has multiple capabilities.

The deployment team installed the solution on one machine at a time, so it took very long. I chose a big database and within less than nine minutes I was able to collect data. So that was much faster.

We used a vendor team and they have one or two guys who are responsible for the maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to implementation, my advice would be to integrate between Microsoft platforms. I will rate it an eight out of ten as I would love to see faster integration.