StarWind Virtual SAN Review

Gave us a new template for upgrading aging infrastructure sans expensive enterprise storage hardware

What is our primary use case?

We use StarWind for multiple 2-node hyperconverged Hyper-V Windows clusters in our datacenter environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It gave us a new template for upgrading aging infrastructure sans expensive enterprise storage hardware.

What is most valuable?

Ease of installation, configuration, and management. It literally took us less than two hours to have a fully functional 2-node cluster.

What needs improvement?

There is a limit on HA storage for standard and professional versions which is too low to be very useful for any but the smallest of SMBs or startups. Most SMBs we work with have more than 50TB of data, so the 4TB and 8TB limits are nothing more than a sales gimmick. The enterprise-level supports unlimited HA storage but starts competing with Windows Server (S2D) at the price point. The hardware requirement for S2D, however, puts the Windows HCI out of reach for most SMBs.

More StarWind Virtual SAN reviews from users
...who work at a Construction Company
...who compared it with VMware vSAN
Learn what your peers think about StarWind Virtual SAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.