StarWind Virtual SAN Reviews

Filter by:Reset all filters
industry
rating
User
Director of Technology at FAFCO, INC.
Jul 16 2018

What is most valuable?

Without question, the support. StarWind has been a valuable technology partner for us from the beginning. On the rare occasion when we have had a problem, or have simply needed to do an upgrade, they have provided first-rate support. Anyone... more»

How has it helped my organization?

We were originally in a legacy environment of stand-alone servers. StarWind has allowed us to virtualize our environment without the huge expense of a dedicated SAN (the typical choice in the past), putting cluster technology and its benefits... more»

What needs improvement?

Very few aspects of this solution need improvement. Sometimes documentation on their site can be out of date, and it is always good to check with support to make sure that whatever you are looking at is current. The good news here is that... more»
Jul 19 2018

What is most valuable?

The product's core feature of virtualizing our storage is by far the most valuable. The abstraction allows us to use commodity hardware, and upgrade/modify it on demand without impacting SLAs. It also provides a high degree of mobility, as... more»

How has it helped my organization?

The Virtual SAN product has greatly improved the organization's infrastructure by allowing us to create a scalable, highly-available, and cost-effective storage system. It has integrated flawlessly into our Microsoft Hyper-V environment,... more»

What needs improvement?

It's been a while since I checked the associated PowerShell module, but I would like to see an extensive set of cmdlets that could allow for easier automation as well as status management.
Find out what your peers are saying about StarWind, DataCore, Red Hat and others in Software Defined Storage (SDS).
290,996 professionals have used our research since 2012.
User at a Consumer Goods with 51-200 employees
Aug 01 2018

What is most valuable?

My favorite feature, active-active HA, provides top performance and redundancy. Administration consists of patching/updating the product a few times a year but otherwise it simply works.

How has it helped my organization?

StarWind has provided an active-active HA storage system that keeps our systems running 24/7. We have the ability to keep everything up even when maintenance is required for updating the cluster or underlying OS/hardware issues.

What needs improvement?

I haven't had a lot of interaction with support. My only complaint is that an update caused a syncing issue and it took over a month to resolve it. Every other time I have used support, it has been for a training/configuration question and... more»
Virtual Cloud Admin at a construction company with 51-200 employees
Aug 19 2018

What is most valuable?

You can build cheap, reliable, replicated virtual machines clusters using simple servers with an all flash disk or SAS\SATA hybrid tiered by performance storage.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides cost-friendly replacements for VMware vSAN or the dedicated storage solution that I am using it for to build shared, replicated storage for my VMware vSphere.

What needs improvement?

* I would like to replace Windows nodes to Linux. As of today, Linux nodes are ready for production. * Ability to to test the virtual storage are network area and storage speed from StarWind Management Console. * Ability to check network card... more»
IT Specialist` at a renewables & environment company with 51-200 employees
Sep 02 2018

What is most valuable?

I like the simple management interface: * It is easy to setup. * It has good support feature.

How has it helped my organization?

We have an old HPE Fibre Channel SAN that we wanted to reutilize for a development environment. However, we didn't want to spend too much on fiber infrastructure or replace the controller with iSCSI, since this would cost thousands of... more»

What needs improvement?

* It would be great if it provided thin provisioned virtual disks. * It should reclaim white spaces after big files are deleted.
Sr. Sys Admin at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
Jul 16 2018

What is most valuable?

The StarWind tech support is extremely helpful, especially during the initial setup. They make sure to be part of the install and configuration so that your experience is positive and productive.

How has it helped my organization?

The software is easy to configure. The more resources you throw at it, especially network throughput, the better it will perform. I'm using SSDs behind it and I am still very happy with the performance.

What needs improvement?

It is difficult to control all of the hardware components. I went through a couple of different NICs before I found the one that would work with my hardware and server OS, and yield the necessary throughput for the StarWind portion.
IT Manager at a construction company with 51-200 employees
Jul 16 2018

What is most valuable?

Ten gigabit Ethernet compatibility, support, ease of use, and management. This solution can be used with hardware RAID. Additionally, there are many white papers and informational studies about how to utilize the software.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a cost effective solution that allows us to have an HA clustered environment with redundancy and scalability. Storage has been very stable, and without issues, failures, or bugs.

What needs improvement?

Updates seem to be non-existent. The software is stable, but I do not get any updates or emails about new releases.
Adjunct Professor at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
Aug 07 2018

What do you think of StarWind Virtual SAN?

Primary Use Case To give us the ability to install a cluster environment, increasing reliability for our plant infrastructure. • Improvements to My Organization This product allowed gave us the ability to implement a cluster environment which allowed us to implement a stable infrastructure for our plants. • Valuable Features The best feature of the StarWind Virtual San product is its ease of installation and integration within a current infrastructure. • Room for Improvement One area that could be improved is the reconnection of the attached drives upon a reboot. Rarely, the shared drive will not connect automatically. • Use of Solution Still implementing.

Articles

User Assessments By Topic About StarWind Virtual SAN

290,996 professionals have used our research since 2012.

StarWind Virtual SAN Questions

StarWind Virtual SAN Projects By Members

StarWind Virtual SAN Consultants

What is StarWind Virtual SAN?

For SMB, ROBO, Cloud and Hosting providers, who look to cut down virtualization expenses, our solution is StarWind VSAN. It is software that eliminates any need in physical shared storage by basically “mirroring” internal hard disks and flash between hypervisor servers. There is less hardware to buy in general, consequently less money is spent on purchase and maintenance. The existing hardware is used with maximum efficiency, so there is no money wasted at all.

StarWind Virtual SAN targets those who already have servers, or are bound to a particular vendor list to buy from. In case there is a new virtualization infrastructure to be built from scratch, StarWind offers a much better way – StarWind HyperConverged Appliance. It is a turnkey solution complete with hardware and software, powered by StarWind Virtual SAN. Those who need to build and maintain virtualization infrastructure at little to no expense, may be interested in StarWind Virtual SAN Free.

StarWind Virtual SAN customers

Baker Tilly BVI, CMS Internet, Board Harpeth Hall School

BUYER'S GUIDE
Not sure which Software Defined Storage (SDS) solution is right for you?

Download our free Software Defined Storage (SDS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about StarWind, DataCore, Red Hat, and more!