Symantec Endpoint Protection Mobile Review

Stable and scalable but application and device control needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

Your endpoint protection depends on the signature piece, so it's mainly for virus and malware protection, as well as also to control devices and applications.

We use the on-premises version of Symantec Endpoint Express. We work in the banking industry and due to our regulations from the Central Bank of Egypt, we are not allowed to use any cloud services.

What needs improvement?

Application and device control needs to be improved. We have been talking to Symantec because we have some requirements we need in this solution. They are working with us to include this if we upgrade to the enterprise edition. We are working now on this point.

We already have communicated to Symantec that we are looking for some features to be added to Endpoint. For example, we need to enhance login features for management to have good visibility of the events. We asked to make device controls more advanced to have read or written features like other endpoint services from another vendor. Symantec said we can check it and upgrade from Express to Enterprise to cover this. We are working with them on these points.

We have been using this for around four or five years now.

There is no issue with the stability of Endpoint.

It's easy to scale, it depends on the model from the beginning. If we were to buy Symantec Express, it would be limited to 2,000 users. If I exceed the 2,000, I'll have to go to the Enterprise to separate the database from the Symantec Endpoint. The scalability depends on my environment. It's not about the product itself.

Currently, we have around 1,000 users, and maybe I'll increase it to 2,000 during the coming quarter.

We are currently assessing many products from different vendors, to make the decision whether we'll upgrade to Enterprise or replace it with another vendor. Additionally, we are testing Advantage Endpoint Protection and EDR, although they do not support some features, so I would have to add another endpoint with machine learning for all of the special intelligence besides signature-based functioning.

The Symantec support could certainly be improved.

A long time before I joined the bank, I think they used to have another solution like Express.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The first deployment was by the integrator when we chose Box from Symantec. However, due to the latency of Box and because its performance was not good, we moved to a VM environment. That deployment we did ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

If anyone wants to go with Endpoint Protection or Advantage Endpoint Protection or EDR, he should make a proper POC. He should make that POC by himself, he should be in direct contact to get the data and bring the vendors for each product to stand up for their own product. The efficiency of the product, detection rate, etc., are all factors that should be considered.

I would rate this solution as seven out of ten.