TIBCO BusinessWorks Review

A stable solution that's extremely reliable, but expensive

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for various systems.

What is most valuable?

The reliability is the most valuable aspect of the solution.

What needs improvement?

One of the main handicaps on version 5 was its development environment. In comparison with other Eclipse-based products, it is not the easiest landing at the first stages of learning. For advanced developers, it results in a simple and direct environment. It also does not facilitate integration with other external tools (release management etc). All these issues are fixed on 6 versions, but we have not migrated at this time.

Pricing is not one of its strengths. Using Tibco BusinessWorks implies adopting a non-trivial set of products (Hawk, Rendez-vous, EMS in most cases), and previous cost models enabled scalability on installation and deployment. I think that current commercial management on the company is betting on promoting a strict model of licensing per product and instance that makes pricing a disadvantage in comparison with other platforms.

Another gap fixed on new releases is cloud approach. We are investing in cloud migration, and currently, all our installation of this product is on-premise. Tibco BW 6 lets you choose on-premise or cloud (Container Edition) deployment. I cannot evaluate it at this time, but this was a gap on the previous version.

I've been using the solution for six or seven years.

The solution is stable. We haven't had any serious technical issues.

The solution is scalable. We have 20 or 30 people on the solution and a team that handles deployment and maintenance.

Technical support is good.

We didn't previously use a different solution before implementing TIBCO.

The initial setup of the solution is easy. Deployment times vary. If you are setting up a straightforward deployment, you can do it in a few hours. If it's more complex, it could take a few months.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

Our investment is justified based on systems maintenance and migration. This product is our business backbone, so it must be flexible, reliable, and expose a low latency. It's not easy to calculate an ROI by itself, but on the whole of deployed projects.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution to others.

I would rate it eight out of ten. It's very reliable, but it's not fast when it comes to adopting new architecture. It's also slow when it comes to introducing product improvements.