TIBCO Spotfire Review

With the new Spotfire 7.0, many of the design limitations are gone

Valuable Features

.NET SDK, IronPython and R integration

Improvements to My Organization

We are BI Consultants and this tool is by far the most complete software for data analysis. It has helped many organizations to analyze, predict next trends and report findings using interactive dashboards. One of the best features is the capability to export the analysis to make it run in a web browser without loosing the core interactive and filtering functionality making it available to anyone without having to install any software. This characteristic can represent in huge savings in custom web application programming efforts.

Room for Improvement

The look and feel is not very customizable out of the box, which is the cherry on the cake when it comes to analazing data. If you are looking for a nice looking sexy reporting tool, this is not it but I doubt you will find one with the brains and sophistication Spotfire has.

Use of Solution

6+ years in different projects and 2 years doing full time Spotfire consulting

As any other software, deployment has its challenges, but once the server is up and running, it is reliable stable. If you follow the well written Spotfire documentation, you should be good to go.

Issues come and go by the Spotfire development team via the hot fixes and constant version updates. No major issues with stability from my end. If there are any, the issues are addressed quickly.

They have new version releases twice a year, which is hard to keep up with the latest version since it requires migration efforts from the IT admins. If you do not keep up to date, in a few years Spotfire will no longer support your outdated version. Another issue is that once you convert and old version analysis to a new version, you can no longer save it as an old version, but that is rarely the case to be backward compatible.

I am a technical guy, but according to the business, they are very responsive and generous.

They have a strong Spotfire community where they discuss technical issues. My experience with technical support is limited.

I was born with Spotfire so I never "switch" but I tried other tools, however it is hard to compare apples to apples.

With the right technical skills, especially in reading and following instructions, you should not have any issues installing and configuring the Spotfire Server. For the client, it is straightforward.

Implementation Team

We are Spotifre consultants, so we are that vendor team that implements Spotfire to our customers.

ROI

I do not have that figure

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It really depends on the complexity of the client. Each project and client are different hence, each each implementation will have a different setup cost.

Other Solutions Considered

Other Advice

If you are looking for an analysis tool, this is the one. It has great features. It is also great for interactive dashboards that can save huge web development work. A 3 months web application sashboard project, even with third party controls to consume data from a database can be done in a couple of hours with Spotfire.

Also, I have a technical blog that helps developers extend Spotfire beyond its out of the box features http://spotfired.blogspot.com

4 Comments
Sales at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employeesVendor

If customisable look and feel is important to you then the next (imminent) release of Spotfire has been designed to deliver precisely that. It is well worth a look.

23 December 14
Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employeesConsultant

That's what I heard and that is great news. Also I heard that I IS and the new API will change considerably making it 100% tomcat reliable

23 December 14
Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employeesConsultant

Here are a bunch of hands-on demos for those new to Spotfire and want to get a feel of how it works and its capabilities:

09 January 15
Technology Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employeesConsultant

Does this tool have multidimensional database modelling support?

16 December 15