Tibcosoftware

TIBCO Spotfire Review
It offers embedded R scripts and a mapserver.

Valuable Features:

• Embedded R scripts
  • Mapserver

These features are key to separating BI tools from ETL tools. RDMS have ETL tools that run the transfer protocol. Some BI tools in the oil and gas industry have ETL features that take the place of accessing the database directly. In the big data ecosystem, the data cleansing process takes place before ETL processes are run to integrate the data. On the other hand, in RDMS, the data cleansing takes place after the data has been imported from disparate system into the database.

Improvements to My Organization:

I used it in an academic setting as a resource to learn R scripting. I have found it an easy API to learn.

Room for Improvement:

I encourage a seamless integration with Hadoop; a direct connection to Hadoop server from a session in Spotfire. This might exist for the Spotfire server connectivity, but I do not work with the server version.

Use of Solution:

I have infrequently used it for two years.

Stability Issues:

I have not encountered any stability issues.

Scalability Issues:

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

I haven't used technical support.

Previous Solutions:

I have used several BI tools and still maintain this diversity in product usage.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup was somewhat complex on the client’s system. I am not familiar with the server installation.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

It is economical to consider desktop client usage when possible.

Other Solutions Considered:

I also use QlkView, Tableau and MicroStrategy.

Other Advice:

Consider how you intend to use the product before investing in functionality that you might not need.

3 Comments

A5223938 eed9 42af 9f16 9a9bd1568f21 avatar
Orlee GillisCommunity Mgr

How would seamless integration with Hadoop change your experience/productivity?

Carolyn french li?1419984313
Carolyn FrenchConsultantTOP 20

Spotfire has evolved from a Visualization into a big data cleansing solution using R after buying S code. If Tibco continues there innovation efforts this product will morph into a onestop product that seamlessly integrates with any data file server. Hadoop licenses as freeware which makes it economical for BI vendors to focus development on seamless integration to corner ant file system (RDMS and Nosql).

A5223938 eed9 42af 9f16 9a9bd1568f21 avatar
Orlee GillisCommunity Mgr

Thanks, Carolyn. For the time being, how do you compensate for the lack of seamless integration?

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About TIBCO Spotfire?

Our experts can help. 233,815 professionals have used our research on 5,900 solutions.