TIBCO Spotfire Review

One of the main features is integrated statistical analysis. Compared to competitors, the UI is quite dated.

What is most valuable?

One of the main features is integrated statistical analysis. At time of first purchase, presentation of tree maps was important, but competitors have closed that gap.

How has it helped my organization?

The same way any visualization product has improved things.

What needs improvement?

Compared to competitors, the UI is quite dated.

Personally, I have used it for six years. In this organization, I have used it for three years.

The server product can have stability issues for certain use cases. The desktop product is fine.

There were no scalability issues.

We did not try technical support.

We are a large organization, and so have Tibco and most of its competitors deployed in one place or another. So there hasn’t been a “switch” as much as an addition.

The desktop product installation is straightforward. Don’t know about the server.

Negotiating large/enterprise licenses has been a trial. The Tibco sales teams have been very difficult to work with - ignoring requests, misrepresenting level of demand, etc. Careful due diligence is required with any (and I do mean any) representation made during the sales/contracting experience.

We evaluated all of them.

What other advice do I have?

Keep an eye on competitors - the usual suspects like Tableau and Qlik as well as tools like Alteryx. There are still use cases for teams/applications where Tibco is a clear choice based on features and price, but the gaps are narrowing quickly. Add to this that your teams and processes are maturing, and may be maturing more quickly than the product suite deployed for them. It’s a mistake to just renew current products as, in many cases, the cost to change is coming down as well.