TIBCO Spotfire Review

Visualizations help us dissect data more and spot outliers more easily. Their mobile solution and export functions are relatively weak.

What is most valuable?

Visualization is the most valuable feature. Visualizations help us dissect data more and spot outliers more easily.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a dashboard set up with Spotfire to show risk metrics across the firm for senior management.

What needs improvement?

Their mobile solution (i.e. to use on mobile devices) and export functions are relatively weak. Spotfire templates are typically designed and mocked up on PC and then got rolled out to users, who in most cases require the capabilities to view them on both PCs and mobile devices. Due to real estate issues, the PC versions wont’ fit well on the latter. Spotfire doesn’t offer easy solutions for the transition yet. Separate templates tailored to smaller screens have to be set up manually by users.

I have been using Tibco Spotfire for about four years.

We have not had any stability issues.

We have not had any scalability issues.

Technical support is medium. They don’t have a user hotline to call. Any technical issue will have to be either directed to consultants or logged in a ticket on the web.

Setup was straightforward. Users can use the product straight out of box.

I was not involved in pricing and licensing.

We evaluated MicroStrategy.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great tool. Compared to other products on the market, Spotfire is designed for enterprise-level solutions. The key, however, to fully utilize the tool is to have an open/transparent data infrastructure to feed into the tool.