Toad Review

Good UI, customization, and remote debugging capability

What is our primary use case?

I am a software developer and I used Toad in my previous company with the Oracle database, but currently, I am using it with SQL Server. My primary use for this solution is database management.

How has it helped my organization?

Only done a trial.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the navigation within the UI, where you can right-click on an object in an SQL query and go right to it, versus going through all of the menus to find what you are looking for.

I like that Toad has the ability to formulate code.

The remote debugging functionality is useful.

I like the themes that it has, such as the light theme and the dark theme. There are a huge number of options available to customize what you're doing.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution should be reduced. I like SQL Server Management Studio a lot so it has been hard to justify the cost for TOAD. However, if it is anything like the Oracle version, it is light years ahead.

The way the dialog boxes appear can be a little bit inconvenient. However, I am sure I will adapt - it is not a huge issue.

3 weeks

I haven't had any issues with stability. It used to be quite hungry on resources, but I would imagine that it has been fixed by now.

I am the only person using this solution in my company.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

I did not use another database management solution prior to Toad, although Microsoft Access does give you the ability to do things like link tables.

The initial setup is reasonably straightforward for someone who's used something like SQL Management Studio. It's set up similarly in terms of having a tree-like structure, or you can also choose a tab structure. There are different ways of presenting the object in the database, which is helpful.

The software takes about ten minutes to install, as long as you have your Oracle or SQL database up. It is very easy to connect with them.

I implemented this solution on my own. If you have the SQL server set up then it just works.

Not assessed.

The software is expensive but it is very good.

I am currently using the trial version and I will probably purchase the professional edition. The professional edition is about $1,000 AUD ($700 USD) and the developer version is about twice that much.

No - I just loved the Oracle version when I worked with MARS.

What other advice do I have?

I have not used the SQL Server version a great deal, but I can say that when I used it with Oracle and comparing it to the Oracle Management Studio, Toad was by far the best.

For Oracle developers, this solution is a must. I don't think it is such a big jump from the SQL Management Studio, but from the Oracle point of view, it's a brilliant piece of software that makes things so much easier. It includes triggers or exits with remote debugging, and you have execution plans, all of which are helpful.

This is a very good product, but it is a little bit expensive.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.