Toad for Oracle Overview

Toad for Oracle is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Database Development and Management tools. It is most often compared to Oracle Enterprise Manager: Toad for Oracle vs Oracle Enterprise Manager

What is Toad for Oracle?

With Toad for Oracle, you'll reduce costs and risks by easily ensuring the health and performance of your Oracle Cloud Platform and on-premises databases. ... On the operations side, you can automate administration tasks and proactively manage your databases while embracing performance optimization and risk mitigation.

Toad for Oracle Buyer's Guide

Download the Toad for Oracle Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Toad for Oracle Customers
intel, ebay, uber, mars, microsoft
Toad for Oracle Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Toad for Oracle pricing:
  • "There are paid and free-for-use versions of the product."
  • "My advice is to try to use the three-year maintenance agreement if possible."
  • "The professional edition is about $1,000 AUD ($700 USD) and the developer version is about twice that much."
  • "In my opinion, this solution is a little expensive, but I understand that good programs cost more money."

KM
Technical consultant/lead at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Enables you to query, develop keys, and execute them to store and retrieve data

What is our primary use case?

We use Toad as a solution for packages and day-to-day tasks, like calling and finding, when we have some support queries or need to check if there is a data issue. We also use it when we want to develop objects. For those kinds of sites only we use Toad. Sometimes we use it to load data from a third-party source.

• "The best product for working with Oracle databases for support, checking and loading data."
  • "There may be an issue with processing limitations but this cannot be confirmed as a problem with the product or with the newest releases."

What other advice do I have?

Toad is fast and very convenient. You just need to choose what you want to create, configure all the items and objects, then just generate the scripts, test and you can use the same script and create the objects in production. It is an easy tool to use. Toad is a tool to efficiently connect to and use the Oracle database. It gives you the power so you can query, develop the keys and you can execute them to store and retrieve the data. However, when you use a larger database, you may not end up with the only single database type. For example, you might have another system where you had big data…
Bryan Wrench
Software Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
User
Great PL/SQL debugger and "Make Code" feature with technical support that goes above and beyond

What is our primary use case?

I use TOAD for all Oracle database management and development. I've also purchased it for our developers. The resource time I save by purchasing TOAD for my developers easily offsets the cost. We are a smaller software company and maintain an Oracle database to test new releases. We do database administration, design, and development. Database management includes tablespaces, data files, rebuilding indexes, tables, analyzing tables, and schema comparison. PL/SQL development includes creating and maintaining packages. SQL includes data queries and editing.

• "A quite simple feature that I have not encountered elsewhere is the "Make Code" feature. I can easily export a complex SQL statement to a programming language. This is a great timesaver as I do not have to type in all of the escape/concatenation characters just to create a SQL statement in C# or C++."
  • "Once in a while, I may encounter a memory exception and have to abort the application. On a few occasions, the file that stores the saved connections for the New Connection window will become corrupt and I will lose all of my saved connections. I am not sure if that is a Windows or TOAD issue, but it has happened to all of my developers at some point or another."
Learn what your peers think about Toad for Oracle. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,975 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1458423
Self Employed, Software Developer, Energy Expert at My Power Station Technology (Pty) Ltd
Good support, easy to use with a visually appealing design, and it is straightforward to set up

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is Oracle software development. I use Packages, Stored Procedures, Triggers, DDL, and DML. I also use it for viewing schemas, viewing sessions, table spaces, etc. I work in Oracle versions from 12c to 19c and a single version of Toad allows me to do this. I also work in Oracle htp.p (HTML, CSS, JavaScript from inside the database) and also Oracle Apex, and I can do this with Toad too. I work on multiple VMs and multiple clients and I can load a 64-bit Toad in one environment and a 32-bit Toad in another environment.

• "I find Toad easy to use and I love the Workspace feature, which allows me to set up projects so that I can open SQL files applicable to what I am working on at any particular time."
  • "There should also be a better "cancel query" option as sometimes one cancels a query, but then it still might run for a long time, and then one has to crash Toad in order to cancel the query."
JB
Development Department at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good UI, customization, and remote debugging capability

What is our primary use case?

I am a software developer and I used Toad in my previous company with the Oracle database, but currently, I am using it with SQL Server. My primary use for this solution is database management.

• "The most valuable feature is the navigation within the UI, where you can right-click on an object in an SQL query and go right to it, versus going through all of the menus to find what you are looking for."
  • "The way the dialog boxes appear can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I have not used the SQL Server version a great deal, but I can say that when I used it with Oracle and comparing it to the Oracle Management Studio, Toad was by far the best. For Oracle developers, this solution is a must. I don't think it is such a big jump from the SQL Management Studio, but from the Oracle point of view, it's a brilliant piece of software that makes things so much easier. It includes triggers or exits with remote debugging, and you have execution plans, all of which are helpful. This is a very good product, but it is a little bit expensive. I would rate this solution a nine…
PP
E-service at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Reach list of features make administering Oracle easier

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for administering my Oracle database.

• "Toad has a lot of features that are very useful, fast, and well developed."
  • "I would like to see an improvement in the performance because opening the browser and the editor should be faster."

What other advice do I have?

This is a program that I like very much and I recommend for others. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
Download our free Toad for Oracle Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.