Tricentis Tosca Review

​It was the only way to organize and support automation testing process for our re-insurance tool for underwriters​.

What is most valuable?

Ability to test Java Swing UI on business application.

How has it helped my organization?

It was the only way to organize and support automation testing process for our re-insurance tool for underwriters.

What needs improvement?

Browser compatibility (probably solved in the newest versions).

Version 8 of Tosca had weak compatibility with automation via browsers. Firefox and IE produced issues, unexpected quits during execution of automation test, and during automated clicks at elements. Also, execution of tests was possible at one thread only (at the same time other instruments for automation, like Selenium, allow using multiple threads). But probably some of mentioned problems are not actual for up to date versions of Tosca.

No issues.

Not all of UI elements were managed correctly by regular Tosca functions, we was forced to use Custom Controls for doing that.

Eight out of 10.

A bit complex.

We were forced to use a custom version of IBM Java and custom controls for managing of Java Swing UI elements. Some time was required to understand how to link all this stuff with Tosca (most of our questions were ultimately answered in Tosca documentation). Time for first setups was three to four hours, per employee’s laptop, but after some attempts it was shortened to one hour.

Yes I can recommend Tosca, especially for Java Swing applications.

AutoIt.