Tricentis Tosca Overview

Tricentis Tosca is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Functional Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Micro Focus UFT One: Tricentis Tosca vs Micro Focus UFT One

What is Tricentis Tosca?

Tricentis Tosca specializes in enabling large enterprises to improve the quality of their applications by equipping them to optimize, manage, and automate their software testing.

Tosca's model-based approach to software test automation enables enterprises to achieve high automation rates while maximizing business risk coverage.

Tricentis Tosca also provides market-leading test case design and planning capabilities, test data provisioning, service virtualization, mobile testing, and more.

Tosca is fully compatible with other testing solutions and Application Lifecycle Management products. Tricentis also offers uniquely designed testing solutions for SAP, ServiceNow, Trax, Avaloq, and Oracle.

Tricentis Tosca Buyer's Guide

Download the Tricentis Tosca Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Tricentis Tosca Customers

HBO, AMEX, BMW Group, ING, Bosch, Austrian Airlines, Deutsche Bank, Henkel, Allianz, Bank of America, UBS, Orange, Siemens, Swiss Re, Vodafone

Tricentis Tosca Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Tricentis Tosca pricing:
  • "We have around 200 [concurrent] licenses and the cost around $1.4 million a year."
  • "I would like to see better costing packs. There are several features but USD $11,000 for one license is expensive."
  • "I am satisfied with the cost."
  • "My understanding is that it's an expensive product, although I don't know the specifics with regards to pricing."

NibsMishra
AVP, Testing Service Owner at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Top 20Popular
Having a regression suite that we can run gives us a high level of confidence in the changes we are making

What is our primary use case?

It's primarily used for automation. We're a pretty complex environment. We have hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands, of applications. We have more than 200 Agile teams which are doing builds across five big locations in the US.

• "The Model-Based Test Automation is the most valuable feature, where you can create reusable components. Even though we are using a scriptless automation tool, there still needs to be an understanding of how to create reusable components and how to keep refactoring and how to keep regression, the test scripts, at an okay level. We are coupling Tosca with some other risk-based testing tools, as well, but automation is primarily what we're using Tosca for, the scriptless, model-based technology which is driving automation for us."
  • "There have been some setbacks because of upgrades. While Tosca has been around for a while, Tricentis has catered to smaller clients and I don't think they have done such a large, at-scale transition or transformation before or worked with a company like ours, which is doing an enterprise-wide transformation. When we go to their customer advisory-board meetings, upgrades have been an issue. They have been working a lot to make upgrades seamless."

What other advice do I have?

Before looking at a tool, it's not just about implementing the tool. It's about having the right mindset to be able to implement a tool. With Tosca, we didn't go and say, "We want to use Tosca. Go." We have a whole training where we talk about what needs to shift, how you need to shift, why we are doing it, and making people understand the intent behind using some of these tools. Otherwise it does not work. We have seen enough failures with other implementations to know that if we don't have the right mindset, these things don't work. Also, having the right partnership and setting expectations…
reviewer1215411
Global QA Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides us with a central repository for manual and automated test cases, which allows us to share and reuse test cases globally.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for test automation and manual tests, and we use it as our central repository for all test cases. Our test cases focus on front end testing and back-end testing. Tosca BI is what we use for back-end testing. We also have built out RPA processes that run in Tosca in conjunction with DEX.

• "Tosca BI is important to make sure that our data integrity is in check and validated; to make sure our data is good. Our data is the number-one important driver for our company, so if that's not good, we have some big problems."
  • "The main area where there is room for improvement is how they do upgrades. Going through this current upgrade, we were delayed a month because we are using a third-party tool. It's called Tosca Connect by Tasktop. When this latest upgrade broke that relationship between the two, it took Tricentis a month to come back with a workable solution... Their whole upgrade process needs to be better and cleaner, from an end-user standpoint."

What other advice do I have?

If you're going to have somebody come in and help set up, don't go with a third-party vendor, but have Tricentis consultants come in, do training, and help set up. It's worth the extra money to have them come in and do right, versus a third-party that might not know everything. That was our experience. We tried the third-party route to help us, and we immediately saw that it was not the right way to go. That's when we went to Tricentis themselves to come in and help us. The biggest lesson I've learned is more connected to the tool's adoption. If people have been doing the same thing for over…
Learn what your peers think about Tricentis Tosca. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
gagneet
Continuous Delivery Lead at SAI Global
TOSCA Testsuite Review

What is our primary use case?

Mixed environment having web and desktop applications, integrating with each other and over an API Gateway. API based and Financial Services portal testing created using modern technology using C# and ReactJS.

What other advice do I have?

Take the online training on Udemy before you confirm the intent to buy it.
Shweta Mukkawar
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good reporting, easy-to-use interface, and the APIs are useful

What is our primary use case?

We have been using this solution in my organization. There are several clients who have come back to us asking for different automation tools and our views on which automation tools can be used in their respective projects. We have been evaluating for these clients. The evaluations we were doing, was for our client but done within the organization only.

• "The reporting is really nice."
  • "The UI does not have the option of automating the scroll bars."

What other advice do I have?

The recommendation of this solution depends from client to client and what their requirements would be, the parameters, and what is important to them. If the client wants good support and at the same time they want to have a good database included with the Automation Testing Suite, and is ready to spend the money, then we would definitely suggest Tricenta Tosca as a good option. Again, it is dependant on the client's requirements and what they would want in an automation tool. If you have Linux or Mac machines, then it gets very difficult to implement Tosca. I would suggest using it. For…
MP
Technical Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Good performance, easy to understand with recovery, data reuse, and integration features

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for user names and login passwords. We are using model-based techniques where they have already entered IDs. Based on the ID, we can create the object, test case, test folder, and test types. If I want to create a registration for five countries, I will create complete test cases and use the same data. There is no need to create different data or test cases for that. I can use the same data for different countries by using or passing the object from my object type. In my previous company, I worked on two different projects. One was for the banking domain, and the other one was… more »

• "The feature that I have found the most valuable is the recovery and cleanup process. Suppose there is a list of test cases and one test case has failed, it should not impact the other test cases. We can reuse the same test case. We can change the configuration of parameters and then use the test cases on the same thing. So, that's a useful thing. Otherwise, we have to use the cleanup process. Another useful feature is to have our own library files. We can create our objects in the libraries and reuse them. There is no need to create duplicate data for that. They have been giving some enhancements recently which means integration is also there. They've integrated with different software like Jenkins, Bamboo. So, we can also create pipeline points. They have recently given SAP and everything, which is very useful."
  • "It would be of great help if they can fix the loading or performance issues. Sometimes, when I create the test case folder and test cases, it feels like it has loading or performance issues. When passing the objects, we can't sometimes find the exact element. We need to find out that exact location and just give the path for that, and then it works. In the pipeline, when creating Jenkins, we create the list execution for passing the execution list to the commander. I feel it is a bit late, by a fraction of seconds. I first thought it could be my mistake or a setting issue, but I worked on that, and it's not a mistake or a setting issue."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product to my colleagues or my friends because it is very useful if they are using the Tosca Query Language (TQL). We can find exact data from any project, which is one of the best benefits. It is a very easy, convenient product for everyone. Tricentis Tosca is very easy to understand. We can reuse data, and no redundant data is required. I like this tool. I am also interested in self-learning this tool and its features. I would rate Tricentis Tosca an eight out of ten. It's very good performance-wise.
Test Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to learn, has good test templates, and it supports distributed execution with RDP

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product for web UI testing, SAP, and API testing.

• "This solution is very easy to learn and any non-programmer or manual tester, with little experience in automation, can pick it up quite easily."
  • "Many times when we have raised a ticket, we did not get an urgent response."

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using Tricentis Tosca is that for test automation, you are not required to be a programmer or very technical. Overall, this is a good product and I definitely recommend it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
MohamedSoliman
Software QA Automation Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Powerful automation testing capabilities with an easy to use and well organized interface

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using this product as an automation tool, for regression, and as a revision tool.

• "This tool is very easy to use and I think that anyone can come in, having no experience with it, and within four to six months be comfortable with it."
  • "I would like to see better integration with other testing tools."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to make use of the extensive library that they have. It is a good collection of training videos and documentation, and I would advise everybody to go through these materials. They are really helpful and it will allow them to learn much faster, bringing them to the point where they can use it to its full potential. In summary, I am really comfortable with this tool, I haven't had many problems, and it's sufficient for our work. In the three years that I have been working with it, whenever I've needed something, I've been able to find it…
DW
Quality Assurance and Services Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and scalable with a very fast setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for testing. The company's businesses are tax-free payments. We're testing the company applications around the aspects of its tax-free payment systems.

• "We like the fact that it works across mobile, desktop, web, and APIs. Due to this, the solution has a broad range of applications."
  • "The solution needs to improve its simulation of mobile environments. Right now, that aspect is really lacking."

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd recommend people do a proof of concept (POC) around Tosca and compare it to other available tools. That way, an organization will know if the solution is right for them without investing too much time into everything.
See 4 more Tricentis Tosca Reviews
Download our free Tricentis Tosca Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.