Tricentis Tosca Review

Script-less design, good algorithms for test cases and an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it as an MBT, a model-based automation tool.

What is most valuable?

The solution is script-less, so you don't need IT knowledge to use the solution in an operational way. This is the most valuable feature. It's also only one of two or three tools that can do good automation on SAP, and in my opinion, it's the best of those.

The test sheet is very good.

There are algorithms that allow you to generate various test cases that guarantee maximum coverage.

What needs improvement?

If Tosca wants to rule on the RPA world, they have to give some security guarantee.

The solution should work with the Linux platform. Right now, it only runs on Windows.

The solution could use different modules that would be useful to an organization. Examples of modules they could add include robotic process automation, analytics, and business intelligence among others.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The stability of the solution is good.

Technical support is very efficient. There's a helpline, but there's also an academy and training support.

The initial setup is very easy. Deployment took about half a day. If you want to deploy it on just the local machine, it will only take about ten minutes. However, if you want to deploy it to an environment with a common repository in a collaborative multi-user mode on a database that allows some concurrent shared work, it might take up to one day.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

My advice to others is to get training by a professional. This will help anyone use the product. Tosca allows users, even if they don't have some IT knowledge, to quickly start and use Tosca after about two weeks. You can take any business person, and just offer them good training. After about two weeks or a month, they could be independent and will be able to automate some complex scenarios. You don't have to be an IT specialist to handle the product.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.