TruView Review

Valuable Features

It gives us the ability to determine the root of a problem or a network, whether it's on the network side, the database, application server, or server infrastructure. That is invaluable. It saves so much time, it’s ridiculous.

Improvements to My Organization

It's allowed us to be more responsive to application issues. Back in the old days, if there was a problem, it was kind of a fire drill. Everyone was trying to figure out what's wrong, everyone was pointing fingers, and while that was going on, business wasn't running. Now, we're able to use the tool, become extremely efficient in resolving issues, and we get the business back on track relatively quickly.

Room for Improvement

One thing I would like to see is the ability to operationalize it with some templates for various groups. Right now, it's primarily used by the networking group, and then we'll point other groups into a screen that they'll use to do analysis. It would be great if we could just have a set of heuristics that server guys can use or the database guys would use.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years now.

I had no issues with the deployment.

It's absolutely stable. It's invaluable. Literally, in my job I began as part of the network team, but because I have gotten so good with using the product that my role has kind of merged into being the application performance guy. We really rely on the product.

It is scalable. Initially, we under-provisioned what we purchased. We had TruView in just a single box and we were pumping too much data through it. Once we moved to a distributed model, we've been able to monitor our core applications flawlessly.

I give them 9/10. I can't give them quite a 10, because from time to time, I'll work with the folks who, not that they're not good, but there are some who are just phenomenal. The regular guy, he's capable, but he doesn't have a level of understanding that maybe some of the more senior guys have.

It was straightforward, but there was one thing I thought they could have done a better job of, such as just helping us provision it for our network. They were just, "Okay, this is how you set it up." There's maybe a little more analysis on how we're set up and maybe it was for the best practices on how to analyze specific applications. I think that would have been valuable as part of the set up.

Implementation Team

We paid for and used a vendor team.

Other Solutions Considered

We had a product called NetScout, but it was coming to its end-of-support. We just wanted to see what else was out there, and then the TruView techs came in and gave us part of a general help desk on how to resolve a problem that we had for months. The engineers, they would do it in an hour, and that's what sold it for us.

Other Advice

Get it and provision it for your top ten applications.