Ubuntu Linux Review

The updates are very helpful and the way they update their OS is very helpful

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to have as an operating system, to install some applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are stability and updates. We are not using the interface, the interface of the OS, we are using it as the server. We actually sync it through SSH and we deploy our application, so we don't have access to do it. The updates are very helpful and the way they update their OS is very helpful.

I think the operating system is very stable and this is a major advantage.

What needs improvement?

We don't have any kind of support. We have our own skills here at the university and it's enough.

The ZFS needs improvement. They do an implementation of the ZFS storage that needs improvement.

I have a few years of experience with Ubuntu Linux.

It depends more on the hardware layer, not on the operating system. If it can grow on the hardware, CPU memories, then we can put more stress on it. But usually, when we configure it, we configure it on the VM machine and then I start the OS and the application. When we want to expand, we create a new VM, and we start a new Ubuntu OS and we deploy another application. This is how we expand.

We have around 500 to 600 users. We are a university and we have a lot of staff here.

We don't use any external support.

The documentation is very useful with any kind of issues and we easily find a solution on the net variety suite. That is why also we choose Ubuntu. Because any kind of problem or any kind of implementation issue, we have a solution, we are able to find a solution on the net.

We usually acquire a solution application and then we deploy it. It is a matter of one hour or two.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Ubuntu Linux.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

More Ubuntu Linux reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Red Hat Linux (RHEL)