Ubuntu Linux Review

Great auto upgrade operating system with very good hardware performance

What is our primary use case?

The solution provides digital use for end users. I'm the director of the company and we are customers of Ubuntu.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu has better security and better production in comparison to Microsoft Windows and the hardware performance is better than Microsoft. The best feature of the solution is the auto upgrade operating system we get as a support from Ubuntu. The solution is good on the support level in several aspects; the web server, database management, security management, and viral management. Ubuntu is great on all of these.

What needs improvement?

The product currently lacks interoperability with other operating systems like Windows. This means that it's not possible to integrate with some of the popular Windows applications  such as accounting, tax, financial accounting and bracket improvement. I'd also like to see a lighter version of this solution.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution. We are a 15-person team using the product but we have deployed for organizations which have 100+ users. We use a three or four person engineering team for deployment. We plan to increase usage of this product.

We have hardly needed to contact technical support. The solution has good documentation and a community forum for support.

I've been using Red Hat and CentOS but I'm not comfortable with the operating system. With Ubuntu it was a lot quicker to get better security features or updated versions.

Initial setup is very straightforward. It takes maybe 10-15 minutes. I carried out the deployment myself.

We haven't gone for a support subscription. Ubuntu is very reasonably priced for anyone looking to use it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Ubuntu in preference to Red Hat which has shifted to a very advanced engineering team. Ubuntu is for anyone who wants to start out. It's best to use it on the desktop and server. It's one of the reasons providers like Google and Amazon are giving reviews based on Ubuntu.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
More Ubuntu Linux reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Red Hat Linux (RHEL)