Ubuntu Linux Review

Open source, easy to set up, and easy to manage

What is our primary use case?

We run our personal applications or non-mission-critical applications on Ubuntu Linux to cut the cost.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found the most valuable is that it is open source. It is also very easy to manage. We can manage it ourselves.

What needs improvement?

It is an open-source tool, and it doesn't have any support. If there is an issue with the implementation of a feature, such as clustering, I am not sure how to resolve it and get support for it.

The stability of the vendor packages also impacts the stability of this solution. When vendor packages are unstable, or any packages are broken, they also impact Ubuntu Linux. It is very hard to resolve an issue related to unstable vendor packages.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for three years.

It is stable. I didn't face any issues.

It is scalable. We have big servers on it.

We have four to five people directly working on Ubuntu Linux. They are a part of the System Admin team.

I have used Kali Linux as well. If you want to go for an open-source solution, Ubuntu Linux is better. It is a bit better to use.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It took about 20 minutes.

I implemented it myself. The deployment duration depends on the scenario. For small deployments, only one person is required.

What other advice do I have?

We have on-cloud and on-premises deployments. I am working on the core features, and I haven't faced any critical issues with it. We use it for our non-critical applications. We don't use it for any critical applications, such as financial applications, because we do not get any official support for it. For critical applications, Red Hat is a better option.

I would rate Ubuntu Linux a nine out of ten.

More Ubuntu Linux reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Red Hat Linux (RHEL)