Veeam Agent for Linux Review

Straightforward initial setup, with valuable ASM backup capability

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our Linux backup.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution provides us with an RPO within fifteen minutes, which is unlike any other product. I would estimate this as a fifty percent improvement.

What is most valuable?

The ASM backup features are the most valuable. Some other backup solutions take ASM, and when you restore it, sometimes there are some missing files.

What needs improvement?

The solution has to line up with Red Hat so that they can improve their agents as well. If they are not tied up with the RHCE, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, they will not be able to identify what the new features of Red Hat are.

In new releases, I hope they can support Oracle cloud. Right now they support Azure and Amazon Web Services.

I've been using the solution for three years.

This solution is pretty stable.

The scalability is great, it's perfect.

Currently, it's maximized one hundred percent. So, we are planning to grow.

We haven't opened a case with Veeam. We are trained, all of us. So, we don't open cases, but if we're going to upgrade, we will open a case. But there is no instance that we have opened a case based on the usage so far.

I have a team of five that are trained. So, that's more than enough for me. I haven't called technical support for the past, probably two years.

We have used EMC NetWorker before, but there were a lot of complexities. We had to be trained on EMC NetWorker and Avamar.

Then the Veeam Agent for Linux came. I had the Veeam Availability Suite, so I added it to my solution. We added several of our Red Hat mail servers, and it worked. In one balanced solution, one single management pane, I can take care of everything, even my cloud infrastructure.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The Veeam Backup and Replication Suite is very user-friendly. It's not like EMC NetWorker, where you have to go to the console and then do a lot of things. For Veeam, I have one single thing. There's a single management console and I can do everything from there.

I handle the maintenance of this solution myself. With the Veeam one-monitoring solution, if my load balancer fails, my repositories have problems, the storage space is getting low, or there is a warning on the backup, then the Veeam monitor will send me an email. These types of issues can be resolved by a single system administrator.

We implemented the solution ourselves, with the help of Veeam in Cameroon.

The solution isn't expensive, not really. It's manageable.

There are some roadblocks with the licensing. Right now we are dealing with an issue because we cannot merge licenses. We can no longer install the license file. We have to merge all the license files in one file, and then install it in the license management server. This is the only issue that we having a problem with right now.

Veeam is trying to resolve it by upgrading some of our licenses. Previously, we had an agent called physical Linux. We had a Windows agent for physical workloads. You can apply the licenses for VMware, for the Linux agent, the Windows agent, etc., but no longer. All of the physical workloads have to be converted to VAS.

Licensing costs are $300,000 USD yearly, and we pay for three years at a time. I think if you want to extend your support, you have to pay twenty-five percent of the license cost per year. We have to pay this because if there is an upgrade of the software, we cannot take advantage of that. So, you have to pay for that too.

We did not evaluate any other options.

What other advice do I have?

In HMG Hospitals, for example, we have seven data centers here. We have a main and a DR. In our backup strategy, we start by backing up our main site, and then the DR, and then the other branches. We have Veeam backup and replication on all sites, but we are managing all of them from one single place. That is our backup strategy, and everything has been taken care of. We have a primary, we have a base of the domain, our secondary back up, and then our third copy backup will be on tape.

You can implement the Veeam agent for Linux if you have the Veeam Availability Suite. Otherwise, you are just wasting money. You have to understand the concept of the solution, not only the agent. There are multiple explorers which are free on the backup licenses. You have Oracle explorer, you have Exchange, you have Active Directory Explorer, you have SharePoint, etc. Not all is done by the agent. The agent doesn't matter so much. Veeam will work across the cloud environment.

Currently, ninety-five percent of my data has been backed up using this solution.

I would rate this solution a nine and a half out of ten.