Vembu BDR Suite Review

Customer service does not provide phone support and the Application-Aware feature does not work

What is our primary use case?

We do cloud hosting for our customers, and we do reselling when they want to do VMware on their premises.

What is most valuable?

The backup of VMware ESX is the most important to us. That's what we use. We use it to back up all of our private cloud, and it's backed up hourly.

What needs improvement?

We sent a letter complaining about how the lack of customer service has caused us problems. We're actually dumping Vembu and we're going with Veeam, and we're asking for our money back. The thing that needs to be improved most is their customer support. The product itself is fine, but the customer support is basically nonexistent.

Instead of helping us meet new challenges it has actually caused us problems. We wanted a backup solution so that we could quickly back up and recover all of our customer virtual machines. In case something happened to the hardware, we could quickly recover it on different hardware. We looked at different solutions such as Veeam and Vembu. Vembu was recommended to us and we found it to be cheaper than Veeam but, unfortunately, because they're based in India, not in North America, the customer service doesn't even provide phone support.

We had a lot of problems getting it configured in the first place. They also wanted us to allow them remote access to our machines without us watching what they're doing, which is a huge security risk for us. We said we couldn't do that, and they said they don't offer any phone support whatsoever.

The product itself actually works mostly well. One of the features of the product is Application-Aware and that does not work properly. When we tested it with the Veeam product, it did work properly. We tried to get it to work, to get support to help get it working. It went back and forth for about two weeks through email, trying to get help to get this feature working, and it just did not work.

Less than one year.

With the Application-Aware setting, the stability was near zero on a scale of one to ten.

As far as scalability goes, everything seemed okay. I would rate it around a seven out of ten.

I would rate technical support at one out of ten. I don't even know why they have a tech support phone number because I was told in an email from a manager that they don't provide tech support over the phone. Every time I call the tech support phone number, I'm told I have to send an email to support@vembu.com. I said that I would pay extra for premium support but they said they don't even offer it.

The initial setup was complicated because of the Application-Aware feature not working.

For someone who doesn't want the Application-Aware feature to work, everything else is up to par. The licensing is straightforward. They license it per CPU.

One thing to note is that when you configure which virtual machine you're going to back up, if it's on one physical machine, they license it there. If it automatically fails over to a second machine, the license doesn't automatically move over with it. If they could make that a little more streamlined, that would be an improvement.

We did test Veeam. Vembu vs Veeam came in as a lot less expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for. That’s why we have already sent an email to Vembu saying we want our money back.

We looked at a few other products, but we didn't try them all out.

We've already gone ahead and purchased Veeam, and already tested the Veeam phone support while just on a trial. Someone picks up the phone right away and helps you resolve it. They do remote access, but they let you be on the call when they're doing remote access. They never access your machines without your permission, etc., whereas Vembu was the opposite.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be not to go with Vembu if you're in North America because it's too hard to get ahold of anybody in India.

We were a reseller, but we've canceled that. We've told all our customers that we're not reselling Vembu because of the problems with the tech support and the problems with the Application-Aware feature not working.

I would rate Vembu at three out of ten because for simple configurations it works fine, but overall, their tech support is very poor. Conversations with tech support and the way they handle tech support are very poor. One example is that I was told that they want to access our servers, but that I wouldn't be allowed to be on the phone and watch what they're doing. I can't be sure that they're only accessing what they're supposed to be doing. The other thing is, they don't offer any extended or premium support. Vembu is for a low-end, small company which doesn't want to do much.

Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller.
1 Comment
BhavaniShanmugamVendor

Hi,

Thanks for your review, Jonathan.

We understand that without on-call support you found it difficult when you had issues. But we have been delivering email support for more than 60,000 businesses across the globe, out of which 70% of our customers are from North America.

We’d like to mention that our team operates 24/7 and the email responses are sent on time as per defined SLAs, also adhering to FTR metric. Through email support itself, we address and resolve almost every issue that is faced by our customers. In rare cases, some critical issues are escalated to the development team for analyzing & debugging and so we get the Teamviewer access.

We are a rapidly growing company and we take feedback seriously. We will get the necessary systems in place soon enough to extend the best possible support and create a better experience for you as our customer.

We’re happy that you didn’t have any inconvenience with the product apart from the App-aware feature. About the App-aware feature, on our end, we haven’t found any problems in its working. But, there are always some situations that may throw errors due to possible issues in the environment.

We come up with updates in rapid succession. Any inconveniences you may face now will be quickly identified and resolved in upcoming releases. Vembu is definitely not only targeted towards low-end small businesses with minor requirements as our customer base includes leading organizations like NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Many Schools & Universities in North America and the like in 100+ countries across the globe.

04 January 19