Vembu BDR Suite Review

Restoring is easy but support requests should be answered more quickly

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our file server and database backups.

How has it helped my organization?

It hasn't improved the way our company functions that much because we were using a backup which is about the same as Vembu.

What is most valuable?

The restore feature is the most valuable. It's easy to restore.

We've been using Vembu for less than a year.

It's not that stable yet. Every two weeks, my backup will stop and I have to check it. Sometimes it can be fixed by a restart and sometimes I need support to make it work.

It's scalable. It is being used extensively in our environment, but there are no plans to increase usage. During the season, we're around 200 employees and we back up about 4 TBs.

Support is very important. But sometimes they respond to me four hours after I contact them, maybe more. I would like them to improve their response time. Also, their time zone is different from US/Canada.

Overall, support is very good, but their reaction takes a while.

We were using Zenith ARCA. We switched to Vembu because of the licensing cost. Vembu is cheaper.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's just "click" and "okay."

The deployment took an hour or two. The installation plan was to store things locally. We have an online license for the offsite service, but we don't have the proper device installed yet. It requires a more sophisticated machine.

Initially, I worked on it myself. But, due to some errors, I asked support to reinstall it, to fix it. They were good.

We have seen a return on investment from going with Vembu.

The pricing is pretty normal. It's not too hard to license a server. It's pretty straightforward. If you need four servers, you just acquire four.

We evaluated Ipirius. We went with Vembu because of its features. It's similar to what we were using previously.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for a not-too-expensive solution, use the Vembu BDR Suite.

There are three people on our team who can access the server, who can actually operate it: an IT associate, supervisor, and system admin. In terms of maintenance, I ask their support to do it.

Overall, I would rate Vembu at seven out of 10. It's not perfect yet. It doesn't give me confidence that it will run 24/7.

More Vembu BDR Suite reviews from users
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
Learn what your peers think about Vembu BDR Suite. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.
1 Comment

author avatarBhavaniShanmugam (Vembu Technologies)

Thank you for the feedback.

We regret the inconvenience you had with technical support. We have taken this to our Head of Support. We will make sure we deliver a better support experience with faster responses. We would like to mention that our support team operates 24/7 over email and our First Response Time (FRT) SLA is less than 30 minutes. We have been successfully addressing, assisting and resolving our customer queries/issues over email without much delay.

With regard to your feedback on product stability, we are currently working on improving the stability of our backup server by separating the resource utilization of different modules. So each module (backup, processing the backup data, retention, etc.) runs on a separate machine with just the resources needed for them and this will be generally available in one of our upcoming major releases.

For further updates & queries, you can reach us through vembu-support@vembu.com