Veracode Review

Give us insight into code without having to upload it, saving a lot of NDA paperwork

What is our primary use case?

We test two mission-critical web applications (C# Web forms).

How has it helped my organization?

We used to revise code with free tools (like VCG) but they are not even in the same universe. Veracode static analysis allows us to pinpoint issues - from a simple hard-coded test password, to more serious issues - and saves us lot of time. For example, it raises a flag about a problematic third-party DLL before development invests time heavy using it.

Also, from the very relevant results and issues that were pinpointed by Veracode, I can say that our customer security was greatly enhanced by its use.

What is most valuable?

It is great to have such insight into code without having to upload the source code at all. It saves a lot of NDA paperwork. The Visual Studio plugin allows the developer to seamlessly upload the code and get results as he works, with no manual upload. The code review function is great. It allows you to find flaws in source code, but the source code never leaves your workstation, it is all client side, no NDA needed.

What needs improvement?

It can take time to find options if you don’t use the interface a lot. At some point, a bit of interface restyling may help (but not now, now that I've learned it).

No, we did not detect a single glitch or fault in a year. We once had a periodic maintenance activity on the Veracode platform during a deadline, but it was clearly announced in advance, so we just went around it and had no issues.

No, you don’t have such concerns on Veracode. The process is really "launch and forget" (and wait for results).

The team that assists us with it is just great, especially considering there is a language barrier for some of our employees. Veracode did its best to get those employees in the loop with the chance to attend the meeting, as well with the aid of written English.

VCG (Visual Code Grepper) but I am not even going to compare them. VCG is as good as they come, but Veracode is a different breed. An application went through VCG and we were pretty confident. Then, Veracode results just blew us out of our shoes.

I manage the Veracode suite for my company, and I was personally walked through the various steps. Once I was up and running, we had another two-hour session to explain to us how a proper Veracode assessment should be planned (developers, code reviewers). As a result, I believe we have not only a pretty solid code review process up and running, but this was all provided to us at no additional cost.

What we felt is that the Veracode guys want to enjoy and use their solution first. They are not pushing to get consultancy time if that can be avoided. If you need consultancy time you can have it and the prices are convenient. We did not. All the help came at no additional cost.

It is difficult to assert, but it helps a lot with maintaining compliance with our main customers, and helps us to pinpoint some specific issues. The cost of not having Veracode would be pretty high for us.

The licensing and prices were upfront and clear. They stand behind everything that is said during the commercial phase and during the onboarding phase. Even the most irrelevant "that can be done" was delivered, no matter how important the request was.

The licensing is fair, it is time-limited (e.g. one year) but there is a size cap for every app. If your applications are big (due third-party libraries, for example) you should discuss this beforehand and explore suitable agreements.

Competitors were evaluated but seemed, at once, too bloated or not relevant to all our specific requests. We were not interested in buying a product (such as a standalone program) rather we were interested in getting a tool for creating a process, and Veracode is that.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of integrating Veracode into our existing software development lifecycle, as our two existing applications are quite mature, and not changed often, we have not taken steps to have Jenkins or another CI tool that would allow us to get the full power from the Veracode environment. We look forward doing it, starting with the next app that gets developed from scratch.

CA Veracode provided AppSec best practices and guidance to our security and development team during the kickoff phase. They offered assistance on specific code issues that were hard to fix, and guidance on preparing a credible set of rules for Veracode policy, all this at no additional cost.

As Veracode licensing is generally time-related, I suggest you start the subscription once everything is ready for consumption, assign a specific person to it and declaring it mandatory at the policy level. Losing two months of great value because the devs are too busy, or because they think they don’t need it, or they fear the results, or because no one is taking charge of the Veracode process, is really a pity. Once the clock starts ticking, try to take advantage as much as you can.

I would recommend Veracode to anyone involved in high-risk environments.