Veracode Review

Provides security of different Shadow IT activities in our environment, however there are limitations on reporting causing bottlenecks

What is our primary use case?

Application security scanning.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us identify all the applications flaws, especially with so many open source licenses available to the developers. With this product, it allows you to plug in all those gaps where you may open up the backdoors. This tool has helped us everyday with our goal to plug in all those gaps.

We help make changes from the initial NAS that we sign up with the vendors and any third party who might be involved in our telephone activities. They have to ensure that phone is a standby application and security tool, plus we also make the changes in the workflow for any application. Before it is deployed into operations, it has to have a security certificate which proves that it has a Veracode application security certification on it and all the flaws that have been identified have been removed.

What is most valuable?

It has several components in that help you identify abilities in the core. It also provides security of different Shadow IT activities in our environment, especially around application development and website hosting.

What needs improvement?

They are already working on, but we are looking forward to seeing it. We would like the consolidation of all the different modules. This would help, so then we would be able to see analytics and results on one screen, like a single pane of glass.

Once your report has been generated, you need to review the report with consultation team, especially if it is too detailed on the development side or regarding the language. Then, you need some professional help from their end to help you understand whatever has been identified. Scheduling consultation takes a longer time. So, if you are running multiple reports at the same time, then you need to schedule a multiple consultation times with one of their developers. There are few developers on their end who work can work with your developers, and their schedules are very tight. Therefore, you have the report ready if you want a consultation, then it sometimes takes more than three to four days to arrange a meeting. I feel to wait four days to get a consultation and understand the report around the whatever has been identified is a bottleneck.

Three to five years.

We have not seen any major downtime.

I would rate their technical support as a nine out of 10.

The tech support has been very much on the forefront of contacting customers. They help us by making sure all the processes have been outlined and are being followed. They regularly look with us at the whole platform process. Therefore, they have been quite helpful.

They have an account manager for personal relations between the customer and their technical people. This person takes care of bringing them the right person to address any issues that we have.

Two years back, Veracode was having issues. It was taking a long time to start the application, and we worked with their technical support. They also have been constantly improving the platform.

We did not previously use another solution.

It was a bit complex initially when we started, because we had not been previously exposed to any such tool.

It is a SaaS tool. So, towards the end, we did not have to install anything. We just needed an account for the platform to upload the build. There was an initial issue, because people were not previously exposed to this type of process, and it was something new that they were being asked to do.

It has helped us reduce our overall time to remedy any validity, which can be found after being rolled out and put into production. Though, I cannot give you the number. It is always better to safeguard the environment rather than being hacked or have production downtime. In three years, we have not had any breaches or we seen any reduction in Shadow IT.

It is pricey. There is a lot of value in the product, but it is a costly tool.

The customer should demand better turnaround times for the money that they are paying, especially around the reporting and standing up processes that we need to go through. It needs much more technical information on the platform with a tool that can help with information or have 24/7 support available, then it will be worth the price that we are paying, because right now, we don't have many options. There are not may companies who are in the market for Veracode, who want this type of in-depth analysis and examination. That is why customers, with the money that they are paying, have room for improvement in the scope of the Veracode product.

I recommend going for a one-year licensing with CA, because currently they are the leaders in this field with more features and a much better turn around time with a cheaper position, but there are a lot of new companies coming up in the market and they are building up their platforms. I suggest just not to get tied up with a long-term commitment, because I have seen with Black Duck that they are almost one-third of the price of the big platforms. Once there are the same features and functionality (or lot better performance) available in the market, people are going to migrate away from this platform. The market is changing so fast, and with the Black Duck acquisition, it is also expected that we may get a solution with a much faster platform with much better service at a cheaper price.

We did a PoC with Black Duck.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the product as an eight out of 10 for recommend it to colleagues.

I would rate the overall product as a seven out of 10.