VMware NSX Review

Complex but their technical support offers hands on guidance

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to get a complete software-defined data center environment which includes network virtualization within the component. That's what NSX is all about. As a partner, we see the grip, but it's not channel-friendly because it's very complex. VMware wants to be very involved because they don't want the partner to mislead an end user with that state of the art technology. It's understandable because it's very complex.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us save CapEX but I don't know the exact numbers.

What is most valuable?

We like that you can think ahead of having all of your networks being software-led. That's the beauty, and everybody wants to do that rather than connecting cables or whatsoever into switches and routers. It's all about the fantastic design they made.

Microsegmentation is all about security. We need security by definition into the network. Otherwise, the whole network would be corrupt, and if the whole network is corrupt, all of the data would be corrupt.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a coverage in which we can promote NSX to the SMB, midmarket customer.

Stability is up and running. Nobody has ever said anything bad about the stability. It's very powerful.

It's scalable. It's supposed to be enterprise-driven.

Their technical support is good. It's a complex solution and they're there to help with anything that comes up.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We looked at Arista and VMware.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight because it's unique to the market. I wouldn't rate it a ten because it still has to be fully stable across the next ten years. It's a newer product, we need more time to see if it'll get to a ten.

If you're looking into this solution I would tell you to make sure that you have all of the functionalities and the expertise to implement it. It is a complex solution but VMware offers support to help make it more clear.