VMware NSX Review

Microsegmentation makes our life easier as far as PCI and auditing are concerned

What is our primary use case?

We use it for microsegmentation. We're still in the middle of the project. We have 70 or 80 apps to microsegment and have only done about ten so far. We have a long way to go.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes our life easier as far as PCI and auditing are concerned. We have been audited over the last few years, which has brought up concerns and issues. The easiest resolution for this was to put NSX into place and use microsegmentation. So, that's what we did.

What is most valuable?

The microsegmentation is great, and the security team thinks it is great.

What needs improvement?

The solution is quite complex. You need to keep your thinking cap on and know what you are doing: Go to the training and listen to the solution architects when they come in because they have a lot of knowledge.

There is a concern and some confusion around who owns NSX in the end, whether it's the network team or the VMware team. There is not much confusion about this anymore, but there was at the start. Would it be owned by the network team, who might never even have seen VMware before, but would understand firewall rules? Or would it be owned by your average VMware person? As far as someone else putting it in, make sure you know who is going to own it, and they have the staff and the capabilities to cover it.

Still implementing.

The solution is robust as it covers everything we want to do and is stable, so we're happy enough with it. We have had no problems so far. Everything is great.

We have not seen any problems, but we are only at 10 applications though. There is still a long way to go.

We haven't had any problems to contact tech support about yet.

We didn't have anything before. The solution was highlighted by audits, which is why we decided to put it in.

The initial setup was simple. We started probably in December of last year and did a lot of prep: A lot of VMware upgrades, licensing upgrades, etc. All this was done in advance with VMware's help. The project came in for install in June and it took about two weeks. It was great, and we did not have problems.

VMware came on site and did the install with us, then handed it over, not transferred. They did the first two apps, then we have done the next eight. So, we haven't had to contact them for support yet.

We deal directly with Dell EMC and VMware via Dell. This solution was the only thing on our radar. We didn't even look at anything else.

What other advice do I have?

If a colleague was to ask me if it was a good idea to go ahead and put it this solution in, I would say, "Straightaway." I wouldn't have any doubts.